4 Tips For Shopping As A Curvy Woman

4 Tips For Shopping As A Curvy Woman

Here are my tips and tricks to help complete your wardrobe!

7
4 Tips For Shopping As A Curvy Woman
Brooke Cagle

I've said it before and I will say it again: I love boot weather! Here's the thing, when it comes to finding that perfect pair of boots, I have to go through Hell and back to find something that will go over my luscious legs. My problem? I have curves and all the other wonderful aspects that come with it.

You see, as a general rule, I am a fairly confident woman, I will tell you that I look good, I am comfortable in the body that I was blessed with, however, when it comes to finding things that fit me, I can get a little bit disoriented, and self-conscious. I have the hardest time finding clothes that fit me just right, or I am convinced that I will look like a grandma.

Let's just go nude.

The human body is a beautiful thing, but it's just hard to accept that some companies don't understand the needs of ladies such as myself. We are forced to go shopping at certain places and we end up looking like bags of potatoes by the time we are done. So, here are a few tips and tricks that I have discovered over the years that may help you with your wardrobe blues.

1. Kick the Boots

Not literally, however! Last year after the grueling search for the perfect boots, finally finding them, and paying a pretty penny, one pair fell apart after a month and, a year later, the heel blew out of my second pair. I was devastated.

I went to my favorite store searching for boots and long sleeved tops and failed epically. While at another store, my partner came up with the perfect plan: ankle boots and leg warmers/boot cuffs. I kid you not when I tell you that it's a super cute final look and there is no blood sweat and tears when trying to force the zipper up on your knee highs! In fact, you can have ankle boots, knee highs, and even thigh highs when paired with the right leg warmer. You can mix and match so that you have the perfect outfit and look super adorbs doing so.

2. Don't Shop Alone

Take someone who loves you and understands your taste with you when shopping. I kept grabbing tops and putting them back, leading my fiance to walk over after five minutes with her arms loaded with tops and sweaters. Everything she brought over was perfect, cute, and exactly what I was looking for. The point? I am one of those shoppers who, if I have a hard time finding what I like, I get discouraged and want to leave. I am especially bad at this when I am in a new store and overwhelmed by all of the new merchandise.

Even if you do not want someone to help you pick out clothes that you may like, at least consider bringing someone with you who could give you opinions once you are in the changing room. Let them counteract your negativity!

3. Be Carefree

Stop caring what other people think since they are not you, they will never be you, and they will never understand you! The likelihood that you will face these strangers again are slim to none.

I used to always care what others thought and I found myself living in a world of negativity; once I threw those random voices out of my mind, my confidence boosted and I found myself being a much more positive person.

So wear those leggings as pants and wear them proudly! Check out jeggings too, the pockets rule! Try them on before you buy so that you ensure you have the perfect size. My tip? I always wear one size up from what my regular jean size is. They look great and I don't have insane bulges rocking around in places they shouldn't be.

4. Lose the 'tude

Your attitude can make or break you. If you are trying to impress people into being more accepting and understanding towards those of us who may be a little bigger or thicker instead of always judging and making rude comments, then you have got to be more aware of how you present yourself to others.

To emphasize: if you are a negative Nancy, the respect that you are going to get is going to be less than if you are a, say, confident Carrie. Always be aware of your surroundings and who could be watching you!

These are just a few tips out of a million that I could pound into your brains and, regardless if you are "curvy"/"plus size" or not, these tips and tricks hopefully have open your eyes to new solutions to your everyday fashion problems.

The one thing that continues to stump me, though, is how do we, those without a thigh gap, prevent the rubbing and destroying of our favorite pants? Aside from reinforcing the thigh, I would be curious as to what others might do!