Problems Engineering Students Understand

We chose this life, but not these problems. We'll deal with it anyways.

9
RowenAFaith

Most people start in engineering and then leave, and I can't name anyone who has transferred INTO engineering. So if you have already chosen the engineering life, or are thinking about it, here are the daily problems you encounter for your entire career. We like math and overthinking things, but that is why we are engineering students.

1. Coding

There are so many different types: Matlab, Python, HTML, C++, AutoCad, it all goes on and you will probably never use a few of the ones you learned a while ago. With all the types, you're bound to get some commands confused or even just forget them. And no matter what, you'll put in the correct code and probably get the wrong output. That's okay though, because we're not making huge systems that could potentially hurt thousands of people, right? No. Any simple error could result in a tragedy, so we have to do it by hand, ask dozens of people for help and we might just get the answer.

2. Classes You'll Never Use

Freshman year you often have to take many introduction classes to "broaden your horizons" incase you might want to switch majors. But if you know exactly what engineering you want to do, you spend an entire semester or year learning about a career or major you have no interest in. Most of the time it's an easy A, but sometimes you'll get put in a hard class and the next year the curriculum will change and you actually didn't need that. Those typically are the weed out classes. For Calculus II at UC, 50 percent of students fail, but you know they're going to make you take it anyways. They make it hard so that the people who don't want to be there won't be.

3. We're don't English well

Our brains are trained to work a certain way, and Engineers typically are better at math. Yes, we might have taken AP English and we might've done well, but we do better with math. That's why we're engineers. So excuse our grammar and our spelling mistakes, but that's how we are. We might forget how to spell the name of what we're working on, but we'll make sure it's working correctly.

4. Spending 10 hours on one problem

We don't draw big pictures, or write long papers on a novel but we spend hours working on problems. We don't get physically exhausted but we do get mentally exhausted. With integrals and differential equations and everything else we'll eventually learn, but it can't all be done on calculator or in a few seconds. Often we split up problems between people, or level each other out with what we're good at, but it will still take longer than we wish.

5. Coffee

Whether it's Starbucks or made at home, coffee becomes a must for all engineering students. When you're working on labs or difficult problems until 3 AM, you need a pick me up, for your brain and for your body. It will help you focus for an hour or two, and then you'll probably drink another cup, or a whole pot for that matter. Just learn what you like and don't like, because you're going to need to know eventually.

6. Engineering Buildings

Sometimes these are the new, cool, updated buildings on campus, with the new technology and the nice comfy chairs. Other times these are the old buildings that are dark, moldy and musty. Either way, this place becomes your home to study in because the buildings are typically quiet. And since engineers study a ton, the buildings have study space all over. So even if yours isn't the nicest, find a comfy spot where you know you'll get things done. You're going to need it.

7. Very few girlfriends.

Whether it's a girlfriend or a girl friend, there are very few girls in engineering. So if you're a girl you need to find girl friends if you want, and typically if you see a girl you can talk easily. Boys are great. But sometimes you need girls to talk about girl problems with, or to get an opinion on an outfit.

8. Stereotypes -- we're not all antisocial nerds with nothing better to do.

When most people think engineers they think Sheldon-type people like on Big Bang Theory. But we’re not. Sheldon is cool, don't get me wrong, but we go out and school isn't everything. Right now our lives are stressful, but we are doing what we do for a reason. Because we like it.

So right now we struggle, and we cry, and we don't get sleep, but eventually we won't be in as big of a struggle. We may do hard problems, but we don't all just hang out together and we need friends who aren't engineers. These aren't exactly our "problems", they are our aspects of our life style.