Why We Have A Problem With Kim Kardashian's Pictures

Our true feelings towards Kim Kardashian's naked photos

45
@KimKardashian / Twitter

The Kardashian name appears in almost every major news magazine every day, and it is a name almost everyone in the world has come to know. "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" first aired October 14, 2007. Since then, the show has changed dramatically. Whether it's a new man in someone's life or a head to toe makeover, the Kardashian family has changed quite a bit. However, viewers, media, and even people who knew nothing about the show, focused in on one person. Kim Kardashian has managed to be the talk of every major headline, a fashion icon, and a successful business woman. Unfortunately, Kim Kardashian has not used her fame to send a positive message. Instead, she has used all this attention to promote her body.

On March 7, 2016, Kim Kardashian posted this picture on her Twitter account. This picture can also be found on her Instagram and Facebook. Of course, the media ate this up, saying how amazing her body looked and how sexy she was. It is pretty obvious that Kim Kardashian does not care what other people think, and feels as though she can post whatever she wants on social media. Her caption, "When you're like I have nothing to wear LOL," is meant to be flirty and funny, but I am not laughing. Maybe Kim Kardashian should care about what other people think in regards to this picture, because this has nothing to do with, "hating" or body shaming. It is the total opposite.

While Kim Kardashian thinks this picture is her way of standing up against body shaming, it is actually making it worse. What do you think men say when they see this picture? Respectable men might say, "Put some clothes on," or "We do not need to see that," but let's be honest, most men are saying "Wow, she is sexy," or "Oh my God, I need a girl like that." I think you are getting the picture. They are admiring her naked body and praising her because they think this is perfection. They are not admiring her work ethic, her personality, or how smart she is. They are fantasizing over her curves, and what is under those black bars.

When I look at this picture and hear the disgusting things that guys say about it, I wonder if this is the type of girl that guys really want. Young girls are becoming more insecure about their bodies no matter what size they are. The constant pressure to look a certain way in order to feel good about yourself is overwhelming. I have been skinny all my life, and I never thought it was a bad thing until I got to high school. I never thought I would feel uncomfortable in my own skin until I overheard conversations between groups of men. All they would talk about it how big some girl's butt was, or how nice her breasts looked. I cannot tell you how many times I would see guys quote rap lyrics that portrayed their vision of a perfect woman. She could have been a cheater, a murderer, or completely unintelligent, but it was okay because she was "fine as hell".

I can not express to you how horrible it is to not feel comfortable in your own skin. I may not have big breasts or a nice butt, but I do have a brain. I excel in school, I have a huge heart, I love animals, I live for hockey, and English literature excites me. I stopped caring about my body image when I realized how valuable my personality was. I am going places in life, and the opportunities that I strove to make were not achieved because of the way my body looked. Other women across this country are becoming successful, and guess what? They did not use their bodies to earn their success.

Kim Kardashian, you are not promoting a "love your body" message by taking naked photos and posting them on social media. Instead you're causing women to feel uncomfortable in their own skin. Women should not feel as though they have to flaunt their bodies to get someone else's approval. While you may be doing this to end body shaming, you are missing the meaning entirely. Take your platform as a successful woman seriously, because you are supposed to be a positive role model for women everywhere.

Ladies, your body means nothing if your personality is disgusting. There is a man out there that will love every aspect of you. Do not let this generation's perception of others degrade your value, because you are priceless. One day, in the very distant future, I am going to look at my children, and every day I am going to be amazed by how beautiful they are, on the inside and out. The thing is though, there will come a time when they don't see their beauty, strength, or abilities. As a mom, it will be my job to be their role model, their cheerleader, their shoulder to cry on, and the one person who loves them unconditionally. Loving another person is hard, but loving yourself is even harder.