Pro-Life Message at HSLS

Unexpected, Yet Well Received, Message At TPUSA's HSLS

An encouraging conference with an underlying message of God and the sanctity of human life.

285

The goal of Turning Point USA is to educate the younger generation about the importance of fiscal responsibility, free markets, and limited government. However, at the High School Leadership Summit in Washington, D.C. two weeks ago, the topic of Christian faith and being pro-life was far from absent.

While conservatives like Tomi Lahren have made it clear that they think being pro-life is not intrinsic with conservatives, it seems as though the majority of young liberty-loving students in attendance agreed on the issue of abortion. For example, on the third day of the summit, Congressman Steve Scalise (R-LA) spoke about the ObamaCare repeal-and-replace bill that eventually died in the Senate. Scalise stated, "…we defunded Planned Parenthood in our bill…" followed by a prolonged and thunderous applause from the audience. In addition, Kay Coles James, the president of the Heritage Foundation, told the crowd, "I defy them (the Left) to say that they care more about quote 'ripping children from their mothers at the border' when I have spent my entire life trying to convince them not to rip children out of their mothers' wombs." Another resounding acclamation from the students ensued.

I think Sen. Feinstein (D-CA) would say that the dogma was living loudly in those in attendance.

Even as a Christ-following conservative, I did not expect the abundant appraisal of speakers pointing out the Judeo-Christian values present in our country. I have to say that after attending the TPUSA High School Leadership Summit, I am more convinced than ever that the Christian values that I grew up with are not only present in the history of our great country but are also imperative for keeping it and its' citizens prosperous and free. As Dennis Prager, founder of Prager University, said on the morning of July 24th, "The only way to keep government small is to keep God big."

Seeing the sizable amount of speakers willingly and even enthusiastically claiming that they were evangelical Christians and pro-life made me think back to what I had always been told as a kid growing up. Many, talking about themselves, said, "I could never go into politics because I just couldn't live with myself," or "I am too good of a person to become a politician." However, throughout the entire conference, not once did I see a corrupt individual who has completely given up on his or her morals. On the contrary, I saw most of them explain how their morals are those engrained in the emergence of the United States and how being attacked by the Left only assures them that they are on the right side of history.

This summit has encouraged me greatly and has given me the knowledge and the confidence that is necessary for bringing a new Turning Point USA Chapter to my liberal-leaning college in the fall. I have never been more excited to educate my peers on the importance of ending the abortion epidemic as well as to enlighten them of the freedom that a limited government and free enterprise brings to the United States.

Furthermore, I will take heed of Nikki Haley's words and do so in a way that will "bring people to my point of view" instead of "shouting them down". If nothing else, this experience has reminded me that these issues have significant importance in our country and that it is our job as young conservatives to convince and persuade those that disagree with us in order to save this nation as well as the unborn.