This Presidential Election Sucks for First Time Voters
Politics

When the first time you get to have a voice, you don't want to use it.

2
The Alantic

I will be voting for the first time during the upcoming election day. This is something I have looked forward to for a very long time. Growing up I was always interested in the Presidential Elections and loved to hear my family's and friend's opinions on the candidates. "Who are your parents voting for?" has finally turned into, "Who are you voting for?" This should be such an exciting time, to finally be able to have a voice in my country, but is it so exciting if you hate all your options?

When the news started to come out on the candidates running for president I was all for Hillary's message and wanted to vote for her because she seemed to care about many things that I do. Looking back now that seemed like such a peaceful time before everything in this election went crazy and lost control. Since then I have learned more about Hillary that makes me feel she's not fit to run our country, but what's my other choice? Donald Trump. When first hearing that Trump was running for president I thought it had to have been a joke. All I knew about him was that he was a rich, crude, white- I mean orange man, who made The Apprentice theme song play in my head for hours after hearing his name. Imagining him as president was and still is terrifying to me.

So due to a strong lack of media coverage on any of the other party's candidates these two seem to be my options. That is messed up. Not only is this election making me fearful for the future of our country, but it makes me sad to be an American who doesn't even want to vote the first chance she gets. The amount of people that have told me that they aren't going to vote is astounding, and it's because we have two crazy people trying to be our president. The only reason I will vote for Hillary is because that's a vote against Trump. That is not how this is supposed to work. We should be able to have a candidate that we trust and admire, who we believe will be a great leader and a wonderful change for our country, not just the person we hate less.

As a first time voter, I am disappointed in our country and our options for a leader. The awesome dream of my first time voting has been shattered by this election, and I am sure that there are many others who feel the same way. Let's just start over and try again America, this is crazy.