Presidential Debate One: Are We Surprised?

Hillary, you're a smelly pirate hooker.
3

On September 26th, 2016, people across the United States and worldwide crowded into bars, restaurants, dorm rooms and libraries to watch the first of three ultimate showdowns between the representatives of the Republican and Democratic Parties. Sadly, I am not talking about a WWE segment of wrestling, I am talking about the first presidential debate before the election in November.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am 90% sure these debates serve the purpose to inform voters of each candidates' platforms, views and plans for our country once elected. Well, in this debate, it seemed more like an old Western movie shoot out at the corral than a debate. This election season has proven different because both candidates have berated each other and their supporters, whereas in previous years, it has not been so violent and targeted.

The last presidential election was focused more on proving why one candidate and his platform was better for America than the other, but now, we have Donald Trump insulting Hillary Clinton about her appearance (among numerous other things), and we have Hillary calling Trump supporters "deplorable." Since the petty accusations and insulting have been going on since this summer, I honestly do not understand how people can support these two acting like high schoolers. Are either of them really fit to run this country?

That's a whole other conversation topic, but I am here to ask, should we be surprised? I mean, most of us knew the debate would turn into a mudslinging match because that is what we have been seeing from these two since June. So, why are people so surprised at this? Yes, debates are supposed to teach us more about the candidates, but how can we learn anything when they will not stop being so petty?

One of my favorite movie scenes popped into my head as I watched the debate, the scene from the movie Anchorman. I hope you know what scene I am talking about, but if not, it is the one where Ron and Veronica are yelling at each other and then break out into physical fighting madness that encompasses the whole office.

I guess this movie prepared us really well for this debate, right? But, in all seriousness, were we even surprised the debate turned out to be so insult-focused instead of on their platforms and plans? I personally was not. I do hope for the next two debates that we actually learn something of value from these candidates, meaning they stop with the petty bullsh*t and start acting like presidential candidates.

On another note, if you are not registered to vote, DO IT! Exercise your civil liberties and rights as an American citizen and vote! Find out more information here, and register to vote here. Keep an eye out for local places too; and college kids, oftentimes, there is an organization that hosts registration events, so check those out too!