President-Elect Jovenel Moise.

President-Elect Jovenel Moise.

Will he be a savior for Haiti?

62
President-Elect Jovenel Moise.
yahoo photos

The Haitian presidential election finally took place last November. Incontestably, in a field of 27 candidates, Jovenel Moise won 55% of the votes. His ascension to power is the culmination of his capability, his credibility and proven results. Haitians in general count on the president-elect to turn things around. But his task at hands will be very difficult.

Moise was not a politician until about two years ago when ex-president Joseph Martelly put him in the limelight. With his backing, Moise quickly climbed to political prominence and ran for president in 2015. It was a controversial election, and he won under allegedly questionable circumstances. His so-called enemies echoed their vehement disapproval of him. What sparked their reaction was due to guilt by association. The arch-enemies of Martelly treated Moise like a proxy candidate of him. His detractors found no fault in him, but the animosity of Martelly’s enemies had spilled over to Moise. However, this year’s presidential election is different. It went smoothly, fairly well and with fewer irregularities.

February 7 following the election is the day the elected Haitian president swears in. Then, once Moise takes the oath, his 5-year mandate will officially begin. What are his priorities for the first 100 days in office? What will his legacy be? Let’s be optimistic and hopeful. Like Donald Trump, Moise is an entrepreneur, unfamiliar with the realm of politics, but a quick learner. The problems of Haiti are immense. If president-elect tackles those problems head-on and solves them, he will have a place in history that no one before him had ever had. Mostly every Haitian counts on him to deliver on his promises to change Haiti's current economical situation?

Because of corruption, political chaos and maybe a lack of know-how, Haiti’s problems have been piling up for over two centuries. Haiti, economically speaking, can be compared to a train with the engine dead on the track. The Haitians have handed the key to Moise to restart the engine and get the train going. So much is at stake. For instance, about 75% of Haiti’s budget comes from donor countries, which makes the country politically subservient to its donors. It is a form of neo-colonialism revisited. Unless Haiti is self-sufficient, it's not going to be self-governed. As a result, meddling in its internal political affairs becomes the norm but not the exception.

President-elect needs to change a lot of things. For example, Minustah ought to go. They are supposedly part of the United Nations forces sent to stabilize Haiti. It costs Haiti over $9 million U.S. every year to keep those troops in the country. Aren’t we capable of having our own well trained army and Special Forces to stabilize our Hispaniola?

Along with corruption, unemployment and the economy, the big problem Haiti is confronting is insecurity. Imposing draconian laws in the country would not only deter crimes and kidnapping, but it would also bring back full security and stability. Subsequently, hope for tourism, foreign investments and jobs would finally materialize.

Moise is a successful entrepreneur. Every business venture he undertook grew exponentially. For example, Jomar Auto Parts, Water distribution in partnership with Culligan and his vast fields of plantains exemplify his ability to get things done. Moise’s businesses serve the public in terms of job creation and products in the market. He also exports shiploads of plantains and bananas to Germany. In addition, he has an epic vision for the people, in terms of health, employment and education, etc. With a literacy rate of 48.7%, Haiti is far behind Dominican Republic and any other countries in Latin America.

As Frances Robles explained, “Mr. Moïse said that among his first priorities, in addition to addressing corruption and climate change, would be to modernize and revive agriculture, with the aim of establishing a viable organic food industry. If that can be accomplished, he argued, more Haitians may be able to find work in their own country, instead of immigrating to the Dominican Republic or the United States.”

As an agronomist, Moise believes in agriculture and in the reforestation of the island from one end to another. Haitians in the Diaspora and in the mainland put their trust in the new president to restore the engine of the economy and the development. President-elect, everyone wishes you to lead with virtue and tact. Above all, make history and make Haiti proud.