President-Elect Donald Trump's Cabinet Choices And Their Backgrounds
Politics

44

President elect Donald Trump has chosen many different people to run positions of the government. Trump's cabinet is made of many people that most of young American voters or the American people have not heard of in general. Steven Mnuchin will run the Department of Treasury. Steven Mnuchin worked at Goldman Sachs. Mnuchin’s father Robert worked at Goldman Sachs as a partner of the company starting in 1957. Steven got his start during the 1980’s. He started working at Solomon Brothers investment bank as a trainee. He did this as he studied at Yale University. In 1985 after graduating Yale he started to work at Goldman Sachs. When he started at Goldman Sachs he started in the mortgage department and worked his way to becoming a partner in the company in 1994. He left Goldman Sachs in 2002 with a 46 million dollar stake in the company. He started a hedge fund company with a former Yale roommate Edward Lampert. He has also dappled in many other different things involving hedge funds. However many different news outlets say that Mnuchin has no qualifications for the position Secretary of Treasury or public views on policies. However I beg to differ I believe that Munchin has some qualifications because of his background of working in the stock market. And since he has worked in the stock market for a long time he would be a key person if the stock market where to ever collapse again just like it did in the 2008 recession.

Rex Tillerson has recently been added to be President elect Trump’s cabinet as Secretary of State. Tillerson worked for Exxon starting in 1975 as an engineer for the company. This was right after America’s first oil crisis ended in 1974. In 1989 he became the general manger of the central production division of Exxon. In 1995 he became President of Exxon Yemen Inc. In 1999 with the merger of Exxon and Mobil Tillerson was named executive vice president of ExxonMobil Development Company. In 2004 he was named President of ExxonMobil. Then in 2006 he became CEO following the retirement of Lee Raymond. Tillerson has ties to Russian leader Vladimir Putin. Both men have been associates since Tillerson has represented Exxon’s interests Russia during the years of Boris Yeltsin’s premiership. He supported the Trans Pacific Partnership. Tillerson has to get confirmed by the Senate and since he has ties to Russia it might be a tough time to get confirmed for the position.

James “Mad Dog” Mattis has been named recently as Trump’s pick as Secretary of Defense and will run the Pentagon. He enlisted in the US Marine Crops in 1969. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in History from central Washington University in 1971. He was also commissioned a second lieutenant in the reserve officers training corps in 1972. During the Persian Gulf War “Mad Dog” commanded 1st Battalion of the 7th Marines, which was one of Task Force Ripper’s assault battalion during the Gulf War. During the Iraqi War Mattis played a key role in combat operations for the battle of Fallujah. During the Iran Nuclear deal Mattis stated his stance on the deal saying that it was a poor agreement. He also supports the peace plan of the two state theory between Israel and Palestine that was headed by John Kerry who is President Obama’s Secretary of State. It also was stated in a ABC News article that Mattis left soldiers behind to die as a commander during the war with Iraq in 2001. The men where pinned down and need support to get out of the situation they where in and Mattis did not want to send more support because he didn’t know the situation that well and did not want to risk more lives on the line which if that is something you have to do as commander then you simply must do it if it means less lives lost. This might be a huge point in the Senate confirmation hearings if brought up by Democratic Senators and not Republican Senators who are in favor of Mattis as Secretary of Defense. Mattis also has a thousand and some books some of different military leaders and strategists. Mattis has a good military mind and hopefully will be able to defeat ISIS if it is on the agenda of President Trump when he is President. I am sure Mattis will be able to get the job done in the Middle East and hopefully be able to active peace between Israel and Palestine I know that it as of right now might be a pipe dream between the two nations.

The person I though would have filled the position of Attorney General should have been former mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani and also passed up the chance to become Secretary of State. Giuliani would have been a good Attorney General because of his pledge during the early 1990’s to get rid of crime on the streets of New York City. Which he did and also because of his leadership as mayor during the attacks on the World Trade Center on September 11th 2001. However Trump’s choice for Attorney General is Jeff Sessions who served as a U.S. Attorney for the state of Alabama. He served that state from 1981 to 1993. He was elected to the Senate in 1996 then re-elected in 2002, 2008 and then again in 2014. In 2007 Sessions was ranked as the fifth most conservative U.S. Senator siding strongly with the Republican Party on political issues. In 1986 President Ronald Reagan nominated Sessions to be a judge of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Alabama. However the leader the NAACP opposed his nomination. He has voted down different bills as a Senator some dealing with the affordable health care act.

Wilbur Ross was named as the head of Commerce. Ross is known for reconstructing failed companies. In the 1980’s Ross helped President elect Trump after he expanded the reach of the hotel called Resorts in Atlantic City when Trump found himself in financial trouble as the real estate market in New York City bottomed out. Trump’s three hotels in Atlantic City where under threat from different lenders. With the assistance of Ross who was at the time senior managing director of Rothschild Inc. which he started in the 1970’s. Trump was allowed to keep the hotels and rebuild his businesses that he owned.

Andrew Puzder has been nominated as Secretary of Labor. Puzder was the CEO of CKE restaurants the company owns Hardee’s and Carl Jr.’s fast food restaurants. He received his Juris doctorate in 1978 from Washington University school of Law. He was a lawyer and worked for Morris Shenker from 1978 to 1983 where practiced cooperate law. In 1984 he moved to the Stolar Partnership and worked with trial attorney lawyer Charles A. Segal. He would serve as a trial lawyer until 1991. During the 1980’s and 1990’s Puzder was considered Missouri’s leading anti-abortion.

Tom Price was nominated for Health and Human Services and has become the biggest critic of Obamacare. He was also a U.S. representative for the 6th congressional district of Georgia he served since 2005. He was also a physician. He was the chairman of the Republican Study Committee. He had voiced his opinion on Obamacare and he will probably repeal and replace Obamacare under the Trump Presidency but what will they replace it with as of right now remains a mystery.

There are many other people that will be confirmed by the senate in January to serve in the Cabinet of Donald Trump. Rick Perry will serve as Secretary of energy who ran in the 2016 Presidential election and dropped out, Secretary of housing and urban development will go to Ben Carson who also ran and drooped out of 2016 Presidential election race, Secretary of Transportation will go to Elaine Chao, Secretary of Education will go to Betsy DeVos, and to round out the cabinet as Secretary of Homeland Security will go to former General John Kelly.

It seems to me that in one way or another that President elect Trump’s cabinet picks has a lot of controversial positions and stances on important political subjects social issues. It seems Donald Trump wants a well-rounded cabinet with different opinions and people that are very diverse. And maybe American might get back to its former glory it had during the days of a Ronald Reagan Presidency. Republican leadership is very different from what we have now which is Democratic leadership. But whatever this Trump administration tries to do I will cover it here in different articles from time to time.