Preparing For Season 13 Of "Grey's Anatomy"

WARNING: Spoilers ahead.

181
SpoilerTV

With season 13 of "Grey's Anatomy" just around the corner, let's take a look at some of the cliffhangers and loose ends that came from the season 12 finale. What do we have to look forward to in season 13? What inevitable drama will come from the doctors of Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital?

1. Amelia and Owen's wedding

We watched Amelia and Owen have an on-again-off-again relationship for most of season 12, and the finale included their wedding. While we didn't get to see the actual ceremony, we did see Maggie, Meredith, and Amelia all walk down the aisle. Hopefully, the marriage will work and won't end in tragedy as many Grey's marriages have.

2. Jackson and April's baby

April found out she was pregnant again when she and Jackson got divorced. She was then pregnant throughout season 12, and went into labor just before Amelia and Owen's wedding. Ben Warren had to do an emergency C-section on her in Meredith's house on the kitchen table with basically no surgical instruments and poor April could feel every cut (seriously, I can't be the only one who had to look away during that part). However, the episode ended with April and Jackson holding their healthy baby girl, which could mean happier times for Japril in the coming season.

3. Will Ben still be a disgraced surgeon?

After failing to save a patient during hospital lock-down (12x18), Bailey banned him from the O.R. as a surgeon. Later in the season, Ben finds a loophole and comes back as an anesthesiologist, which is how we first met him. After saving April and her baby, Bailey tells him that his "superb technique under trying conditions saved two lives." This heroic act on Ben's part could mean his return as a resident in season 13, and hopefully Bailey will let him out of the doghouse.

4. No more Callie Torres

I have to admit, I didn't like Callie when she was first introduced in season 2 (2x19), but I have learned to love her. After being one of the only "stable" relationships at Grey-Sloan Memorial hospital for several seasons, Callie and Arizona finalized their divorce in season 11 (11x5), which resulted in a custody battle for Sofia in season 12. After Callie and Arizona's divorce, Callie started dating "Perfect Penny" (who killed Derek, but that's a whole other can of worms), who soon became a surgical resident at Grey-Sloan Memorial. After Penny received a research grant that will take her to New York for a year, Callie makes the decision to not only go with her, but try to take Sofia with them as well. So goodbye Callie Torres, you will be missed.

5. On that note, no more Sofia Robbins Sloan Torres

Not that she was a massively involved character since her birth in season 7 (7x18), but Sofia sure did cause a ruckus in season 12. After Callie announced her move to New York, she decided to take Sofia with her. Arizona, however, was against that (for obvious reasons). The custody battle for Sofia forced the doctors to take sides, and Arizona ended up winning custody of the little girl. How Arizona managed to get custody is beyond me, but hey, I'm not Shonda Rhimes. The whole battle ended up being pointless anyway due to Arizona's decision during the season 12 finale to let Sofia go with Callie and Penny to New York. Alas, goodbye Sofia Robbins Sloan Torres.

6. Meredith and Riggs

After Derek's death in season 11 (something I still haven't forgiven Shonda for), Meredith started dating again in season 12. That being said, she never actually went on a date with Riggs, they just kissed in the parking lot (12x23). Could this mean a new romance for Meredith?

7. Maggie and Riggs

Riggs came to Grey-Sloan Memorial as a cardio-thoracic surgeon at the beginning of season 12 (12x6), where the Head of Cardio is Maggie Pierce (who is Meredith's half-sister, but again, different can of worms). There really wasn't any romance AT ALL between Maggie and Riggs, so everything would've been great had Meredith and Riggs decided to make their relationship a relationship. However, in true Grey's fashion, Maggie tells Meredith that "I like him... Riggs" as Amelia and Owen are standing at the alter. So will there be a fight between Maggie and Meredith for Riggs' affections? Only time will tell.

8. Jo and Alex

I like Jo and Alex. I like Jo more than I liked Izzie in terms of who should be with Alex. But gosh dangit Jo, why must you already be married? Throughout season 12, Alex proposed to Jo twice, both times she turned him down. While she didn't actually say "no," she kept stalling. During the season 12 finale, we find out that not only is Jo already married, but Jo Wilson isn't even her real name. Will Alex and Jo mend their relationship and get married, or will Jo continue to push him away? As with everything else, that's up to Shonda.