7 Things You Should Do To Prepare For An Election

Your voice should be heard, don't let anyone tell you different.

165
http://www.delawarepublic.org/post/i-voted-stickers-pile-emotional-tribute-susan-b-anthonys-grave

People have died for our right to vote, why wouldn't you take advantage of that opportunity? After the recent midterm election, I realized that there are several steps I could've taken to be better prepared.

1. Register!

This is the most important step because the only way to vote is to actually be registered to vote. Make sure to register at your current location at least a week in advance to make sure the change is recorded. There's always the option of sending in a ballot but you still have to be registered to do that. Registration is key.

2. Research the candidates

The people you're voting for are the people who will be running the country through the offices they hold. It's important to look into who the candidates are as people and as politicians. They are running for particular reasons and you should know what those are especially if that candidate has a hidden agenda. It's up to you to decipher fact from fiction.

3. Research the amendments.

Looking into the amendments is also important because the jargon used on the ballot can get a bit confusing. Understanding what they are trying to say helps you figure out how you want to vote on the particular issue. The only problem is that some of the amendments include multiple points that don't often seem to relate to one another. Although you may agree with one point, you may not agree with the others.

4. Watch ad campaigns.

Even though I think they're ridiculous and hold too much propaganda to be valuable, you can see what kind of message they put in there as a means of persuading voters. You can also see how they put down their opponent in order to make themselves look better. I think that's important because it shows their strategy and how far they will go to win.

5. Talk to people.

Politics can be a very touchy subject but I think it's an important subject to talk about because it's a matter of how our country is run. People have different opinions and that's okay. Both sides should be understood regardless of who you support. These conversations can only productively take place in a controlled setting where feelings are acknowledged and respected. In today's political climate, this can be very hard to do but I don't think it's impossible. Just because you like a particular side, doesn't mean you have to be blinded and unaccepting of the other side.

6. Fill out a sample ballot.

This will save you so much time when you get to the polls. You already know who you're voting for and how you're voting on the amendments so once you get your ballot, you don't have to worry about making any decisions since they're already made.

7. Go and vote!

If you have time, vote early! It's easy and then you don't have to worry about the lines that accumulate on election day. If you don't vote early, make sure to find the time on election day. Just remember to look up where you're poll location is before you leave. If you're mailing in your ballot, make sure to send it in on time!