Premier League Team-by Team Preview

Premier League Team-by Team Preview

Where will your team finish this year?

25
Premier League Team-by Team Preview

On Saturday, another Premier League season kicks off, beginning another treacherous campaign for each of the 20 teams competing in one of the toughest divisions in the world. Each team is vying to hold up that trophy at the end of the season and put their names in the record books for the 2015-2016 season. Last year Chelsea hoisted the trophy and Sunderland and Newcastle fought until the last day, narrowly avoiding relegation. Who will be in the top positions this year? For that, let's take a look at a team by team preview to see what I think of each team and where I think they will finish at the end of the season.

ARSENAL (finished 3rd last season)

Notable Players IN: Petr Cech (Undisclosed)

Notable Players OUT: Lukas Podolski (Undisclosed), Carl Jenkinson (Loan), Yaya Sanogo (Loan), Wojciech Szczesny (Loan)

With Jack Wilshere out for a "few weeks" and Alexis Sanchez expected to miss the first game at the least, many would expect Arsenal to get off to a rough start. With a tricky home match against West Ham on Saturday, a good-looking Crystal Palace team the week after that and an offensive-minded Liverpool in their third match, Arsenal must play their cards right. They could easily be off to a bad start in their search for their first title since 2003-2004, but I think the Gunners will be just fine. They had a tremendous preseason beating three quality opponents, and with Petr Cech in net, they will surely be giving up less goals. I think the addition of Cech will save them enough points to finish out the season on top of the Premier League for the first time in over a decade.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 1st

Aston Villa (finished 17th last season)

Notable Players IN: Rudy Gestede (Undisclosed), Jordan Ayew (Undisclosed), Idrissa Gueye (Undisclosed), Scott Sinclair (Undisclosed), Micah Richards (Free)

Notable Players OUT: Aly Cissokho (Loan), Christian Benteke (Undisclosed), Fabian Delph (Undisclosed), Tom Cleverley (Free), Darren Bent (Free)

As you can see above, there has been a lot of turnover at Villa since the end of the last campaign when they finished just above the relegation zone. It is going to take some time for these players to build chemistry together and function as a team, but I trust their manager, Tim Sherwood, to have them ready week in and week out. While Benteke and Delph are big losses, this is a team that finished near the bottom with those two, so I think their exits will end up benefiting the team. I don't think there is a top 10 finish for Aston Villa, but no relegation battle either, which I am sure the team and the fans will greatly appreciate.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 13th

AFC Bournemouth (promoted from Championship)

Notable Players IN: Max Gradel (Undisclosed), Artur Boruc (Free), Adam Federici (Free), Christian Atsu (Loan), Sylvain Distin (Free)

Notable Players OUT: None

As a newly promoted side, Bournemouth is already put in a tough position. They have brought in some players that will help the squad improve like Atsu and Distin, but I don't think it is reasonable to say that they are not fighting a relegation battle this year. They lack talent to compete with other Premier League teams and do not have much experience. It will be a tough season and one very different from last when they finished first in the Championship. They will be a tricky team to play in the beginning of the season, but they don't have enough to stand strong the whole season. Unfortunately, I think Bournemouth's Premier League appearance will only last a season, relegating them to the Championship again next season.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 18th

Chelsea (Won the Premier League)

Notable Players IN: Radamel Falcao (Loan), Asmir Begovic (Undisclosed)

Notable Players OUT: Filipe Luis (Undisclosed), Marco Van Ginkel (Loan), Petr Cech (Undisclosed)

Chelsea's season depends on its strikers. With Diego Costa hurt, it is up to Loic Remy and Radamel Falcao to carry his presence until he can become healthy again. Now, we all know the problems Falcao had last year with Manchester United, a team that could have largely benefited from his performance at certain parts of the season, and now it is up to Jose Mourinho to see if he can get the best out of the striker. Chelsea faces Manchester City in the second week of the season so that will give us an early indication as to whether the two backups can fill the void of Costa. I think a tough start for Chelsea and a lack of goals while Costa is sidelined finds them watching London rivals Arsenal lifting the trophy this year.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 3rd

Crystal Palace (finished 10th last season)

Notable Players IN: Bakary Sako (Free), Connor Wickham (Undisclosed), Patrick Bamford (Loan), Yohan Cabaye (Undisclosed)

Notable Players OUT: None

Crystal Palace is a team that I think will really impress some people this year. They have bolstered their attack tremendously in the transfer window and have not lost any of their key pieces, yet. With the addition of Cabaye to the midfield and Wickham and Bamford added to the attack, I look for Palace to score a threat in the final third of the field this season. For a team that scored the 10th-most goals last season, bringing in more offensive talent can only help them move up and be a big surprise in the Premier League. I do not think that they have enough to boost them into a Europa League spot, but their recent additions will lead them into the top half of the table.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 8th

Everton (finished 11th last season)

Notable Players IN: Tom Cleverley (Free), Gerard Deulofeu (4.3 million pounds), David Henen (Undisclosed)

Notable Players OUT: Sylvain Distin (Free), Luke Garbutt (Loan)

Last year was a huge disappointment for Everton, finishing in the lower half of the table after a terrific season the year before in which they tallied the most points ever in a Premier League season in team history. Roberto Martinez is in need of a bounceback season this year and is looking to bring back some of the magic from that historic season by buying former Barcelona winger, Gerard Deulofeu. Unfortunately, Deulofeu is hurt and will not be available for the beginning of the season leaving Everton still facing problems with their wingers. Unless Martinez goes out and buys a striker, winger, and center-back before the end of the transfer window, the Toffees will find themselves looking up at the top of the table again, something Evertonians will have a hard time facing.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 10th

Leicester City (finished 14th last season)

Notable Players IN: Robert Huth (Undisclosed)

Notable Players OUT: Paul Konchesky (Loan), Chris Wood (Undisclosed)

Leicester CIty was a bit of a surprise last season and was tough competition for many Premier League teams, which found them clear of any relegation battle. I do not think you can say the same for this year though after a sacking of former manager Nigel Pearson which is still puzzling many people. The replacement, Claudio Ranieri, have a lot of people, like me, doubting Leicester this season and for me a relegation battle is almost certain for this team. They will fight game in and game out, as they did last year, but I do not think they have added enough pieces to their squad succeed in staying up another year.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 19th

Liverpool (finished 6th last season)

Notable Players IN: Christian Benteke (Undisclosed), James Milner (Free), Nathaniel Clyne (Undisclosed), Danny Ings (Undisclosed), Roberto Firmino (Undisclosed)

Notable Players OUT: Sebastian Coates (Undisclosed), Luis Alberto (Loan), Steven Gerrard (Free), Raheem Sterling (Undisclosed), Rickie Lambert (Undisclosed)

Liverpool is another team where we see some big changes that could seriously affect their season. They have added some big offensive threats in Benteke, Milner, Ings and Firmino, but I do not think they have done enough on the defensive end to secure a top four spot this campaign. Out of the teams in the top half of the table at the end of last year, only three had given up more goals than Liverpool. Luis Suarez and Raheem Sterling are not options for this team anymore and instead of bringing in defensive pieces to make the defense better, they are trying to fill their void with more offensive-minded players. If Liverpool want to find themselves in the Champions League again next year, they must add defense and without that, I do not think they have a chance.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 6th

Manchester City (finished 2nd last season)

Notable Players IN: Fabian Delph (Undisclosed), Raheem Sterling (Undisclosed)

Notable Players OUT: Stevan Jovetic (Loan), Frank Lampard (Free), Matija Nastasic (Undisclosed), Scott Sinclair (Undisclosed), Micah Richards (Free), James Milner (Free), Alvaro Negredo (Undisclosed)

Manchester City find themselves in a tough spot at the beginning of this season. They have let go of a decent amount of talent and have only succeeding in bringing in a couple of their transfer targets. A lot of the teams that will be competing for the Champions League spots and the Premier League have made their squads better and have given themselves another chance to get into the top tour. Manchester City has not done that yet, and I think it will end up hurting them in the end. They have lost the likes of Jovetic and Negredo who were both two very capable back ups and Frank Lampard who was also a solid sub for them last year. They have only brought in Sterling and Delph and based on the other top four teams from last year's performance in the transfer window, Manchester City's is the worse. They will be in the top four at the end of this season too, but they are going to have to fight hard for it.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 4th

Manchester United (finished 4th last season)

Notable Players IN: Memphis Depay (Undisclosed), Matteo Darmian (Undisclosed), Morgan Schneiderlin (Undisclosed), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Undisclosed), Sergio Romero (Free),

Notable Players OUT: Angel Di Maria (Undisclosed), Robin Van Persie (Undisclosed), Nani (Undisclosed)

Switching to the other half of Manchester, the Red Devils have made some good business and have surprised me in the transfer window. They did lose Di Maria and Van Persie, but I think they gained a lot with Depay, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger in the midfield. Depay can play up top, in the 10 role or on the wing, and Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin are both great holding midfielders. They improved the right side of the defense, as well, with the addition of Darmian. All good business by boss Louis Van Gaal, and I think it seriously helped them this year. The season depends on Goalie David Da Gea and whether he stays. But for now he is not an issue. They will have a good Champions League run, I think, and a run at the title, but will fall just short this season because I think they need another Center Back to finish off the team.

Projected 2015-2016 Finish: 2nd

Newcastle United (finished 15th last season)

Notable Players IN: Georginio Wijnaldum (Undisclosed)

Notable Players OUT: Sammy Ameobi (Loan)

Newcastle had a big problem last year, facing relegation until the last day. They did not put together many good performances and had fans with bags over their heads just hoping their team would stay another year in the top division. With not much turnover, I feel like it is going to be a repeat season. New manager Steve McClaren will certainly have to prove himself with this team to find himself in the top half of the table. Newcastle is not strong enough in all positions and the addition of Wijnaldum is not enough to boost this team. I think McClaren keeps them up in the top division, but not by much giving their fans another emotional roller coaster of a season.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 14th

Norwich City (promoted from Championsip last season)

Notable Players IN: Graham Dorrans (Undisclosed), Robert Brady (Undisclosed)

Notable Players OUT: Mark Bunn (Free)

Another year in the Premier League for Norwich City after just a one-year absence from the top division. They got in through the exciting end-of-season playoff in the Championship and now find themselves once again facing up against some of the best teams in the world. With a great young manager, it is looking up for the Canaries. That is pretty much where the excitement stops for them. Unfortunately, with having a young manager, comes inexperience. Without a team superstar I find it hard to believe they are going to do well this season. Unfortunately, I think it is back to the Championship for them again next year.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 20th

Southampton (finished 7th last season)

Notable Players IN: Steven Caulker (Undisclosed), Jordy Clasie (Undisclosed), Maarten Stekelenburg (Loan)

Notable Players OUT: Nathaniel Clyne (Undisclosed), Artur Boruc (Free), Morgan Schneiderlin (Undisclosed)

The Saints had a great year last year led by Morgan Schneiderlin and Nathaniel Clyne. This year, however, both are gone and Southampton is looking to rebuild once again. It has worked out for them in recent years, last year losing a host of players and being able to perform, but now they have Europa League to worry about, a blessing and a curse. The big question is whether or not they will be able to deal with the Europa League and not fall into a slump in the Premier League like so many teams do. With the loss of their two best players it will be difficult. We may see them dropping a little bit in the standings this year.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 11th

Stoke City (finished 9th last season)

Notable Players IN: Ibrahim Afellay (Free), Mohamed El Ouriachi (Free), Glen Johnson (Free), Shay Given (Undisclosed), Marco Van Ginkel (Loan), Philipp Wollscheid (Undisclosed), Joselu (8 million pounds)

Notable Players OUT: Robert Huth (Undisclosed), Steven N'zonzi (7 million pounds), Asmir Begovic (Undisclosed)

Stoke City has made a lot of smart moves this year after a pretty solid season in 2013-2014. The only tragedy was the loss of their goalie Begovic, but they seemed to take advantage of some very good free transfers to build their team. The quarter of Van Ginkel, Afellay, El Ouriachi and Joselu will vastly improve them from an offensive perspective, and the addition of Wollscheid and Johnson will help an already talented defensive side. I think that Stoke will compete well in a lot of games this year with the top teams in the league, but their downfall is at goalkeeper because Shay Given is just not as good as Begovic.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 9th

Sunderland (finished 16th last season)

Notable Players IN: Yann M'Vila (Loan), Younes Kaboul (Undisclosed), Sebastian Coates (Undisclosed)

Notable Players OUT: Connor Wickham (Undisclosed)

Sunderland had a tough year that took a Jermaine Defoe goal and some last day drama to stay up. All of that followed by tears of joy and happiness, hoping they would not have to go through it again. Unfortunately, history may repeat since they traded one of their best players in Wickham and have not really brought any exceptional talent in. Kaboul will help out in the back, but no one else will have a significant impact on the team. Unless someone has an exceptional year on the offensive end, I think they'll have more problems this year because they simply are not good enough to compete with just mid-level teams.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 16th

Swansea City (finished 8th last season)

Notable Players IN: Eder (Undisclosed), Andre Ayew (Free)

Notable Players OUT: Ashley Richards (Undisclosed)

Swansea City may not have made a ton of moves, but the few moves they did make were great moves. They did not get rid of anyone that would severely affect their squad, and they gathered two players in Eder and Ayew who I think will be great additions to an already talented team. Eder and Gomis are going to be great up top for them, and I think that the midfield will be very good again. Fabianski in goal is solid as well, and I really do not think they have many holes in the first team. I believe Swansea will have an exceptional season, taking some games from top teams like Man City and Chelsea. In my opinion, you see them back in the Europa League after this season.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 7th

Tottenham Hotspurs (finished 5th last season)

Notable Players IN: Toby Alderweireld (Undisclosed), Kieran Trippier (Undisclosed)

Notable Players OUT: Paulinho (9.9 million pounds), Lewis Holtby (Undisclosed), Etienne Capoue (Undisclosed), Younes Kaboul (Undisclosed), Benjamin Stambouli (Undisclosed), Vlad Chiriches (Undisclosed)

Tottenham looked very good last year with Harry Kane leading the charge and having a surprisingly exceptional season. The only problem was with their defense last year which let up 53 goals, higher than anyone in the top half of the table. They have fixed that though with the addition Alderweireld to pair with their other Belgian Center Back, Vertonghen. They will have a little bit of a problem with that holding midfield spot which will hurt them a little, but I think their season rides on whether Kane performs exceptionally. I personally think the Spurs have a great season ahead, but I do not think they'll hop into the top four.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 5th

Watford (promoted from Championship last season)

Notable Players IN: Etienne Capoue (Undisclosed)

Notable Players OUT: None

Watford, promoted from the Championship, have not made a big name moves yet this summer, but I think that is okay. I personally think that Watford will be the Leicester City of last year, a tricky team to play against. They have some talent up front with Troy Deeney, who scored 21 goals for them last year and the addition of Capoue does help them out in the midfield. I think that teams have trouble playing against Watford and while they may not lose, it will certainly be a challenge. Watford will not be in the top half of the table, or anywhere near it, but they will stay up because they will take points off some good teams.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 17th

West Bromwich Albion (finished 13th last season)

Notable Players IN: Rickie Lambert (Undisclosed), James Chester (Undisclosed), James McClean (Undisclosed)

Notable Players OUT: Graham Dorrans (Undisclosed)

West Brom had a decent season last year, but did not turn any heads. This year, though, they might be a little better off because the signings of Rickie Lambert and James McClean. These additions will benefit their squad and help them score more goals, something they need to improve on. The loss of Graham Dorrans will play a bit of a role, but not too much, and I see West Brom having some good games. On the other hand they won't really going anywhere, pretty much staying put in the standings. I think they will need a great season from Rickie Lambert for them to have a better season overall.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 12th

West Ham United (finished 12th last season)

Notable Players IN: Carl Jenkinson (Loan), Angelo Ogbonna (Undisclosed), Dimitri Payet (Undisclosed)

Notable Players OUT: Ravel Morrison (Free), Stewart Downing (Undisclosed)

West Ham had an okay year last year, but still ended up in Europa League by finishing top of the fair play table. They played some great football at times and not so great at other times, which led to them firing their manager. I think the problem with this season will be the new manager, Slaven Bilic. His issue will be his big ego which will end up hurting the team in the end. If some how he can get over that, then they might be fine, but I find that hard to believe, leaving West Ham near the bottom of the table fighting for relegation. They won't be relegated, in my opinion, but they will get a scare.

Projected 2015-2016 finish: 15th