Why I Prefer A Real Realtor Over Zillow

Why I Prefer A Real Realtor Over Zillow

I found when it was time to get serious, real estate apps just didn't cut it.

104
Why I Prefer A Real Realtor Over Zillow

I have a confession: when I'm bored or procrastinating, I browse real estate apps for houses I can afford (and sometimes can't afford...) in areas where I'd like to live. I currently have three real estate apps in the 'Lifestyle' folder on my iPhone and when those don't suffice, I browse Google to find those really obscure real estate websites. It's become a bit of an obsession.

It's fun for a little while to suspend the belief that I won't be living in Arizona probably for the rest of my life, and browse beautiful areas of the South Carolina Lowcountry or California's wine country. I search for houses that have that beautiful wrap-around porch, impeccable landscaping, and give off a certain inviting vibe. Sometimes I surprise myself and find myself drooling over a beautiful loft in some fancy, bustling city, but usually, I stick with the sprawling houses a little further out in the country that come with a bit of history.

Zillow, Trulia, rent.com... they're all wonderful for seeing what you can get in any city or town your heart desires. But when push comes to shove and you're actually ready to move, it's always best to find a realtor. I've learned the hard way that those real estate apps that lure you in with their simple filters and easy-to-use search functions are a little too good to be true.

When I was recently looking for a home to rent, I first perused my real estate apps and favorited a few homes I was really interested in. Imagine my dismay when I called the listing agent for each one and almost all had incorrect information listed on Zillow (or whichever app I used) or weren't even available any longer. It was frustrating, exhausting, and made me pretty cranky; not exactly the frame of mind I wanted to be in when trying to find a suitable house for me and my family.

After doing a little digging and using a bunch of different apps, I decided it was time to call a realtor that I know. She was able to send me a link to an MLS (multiple listings service) page that showed homes that matched the search parameters I told her, with the houses marked as active or pending, and all the correct information outlined in the description. It made the process so much more efficient; it was very easy to see which homes would and wouldn't work for us and to set up a time to tour the homes.

I realized, after working both with my realtor and using a variety of apps/websites, there were a few reasons why those apps just weren't cutting it.

First, as I mentioned earlier, the information isn't accurate. There was an alarmingly high number of times that I would call to inquire about something I saw on the Zillow listing and it was wrong. Yes, they allow animals, but only service animals. No, the rent isn't $975 a month, it's $1050 a month. Sorry, no, the refrigerator, washer, and dryer actually aren't included and you'll need to bring your own. It was infuriating and not to mention disappointing when I found a home that I thought was the perfect fit for us, only to call and find out pretty much everything on the listing was wrong and it wouldn't work out. Talk about a huge letdown.

Second, you don't get to see the most recent listings on apps like Trulia and Zillow. When I called to ask about a house and I was told it was no longer available. In a way, it almost seemed like some of these real estate agencies kept the expired listings up as a way to draw renters in and get you on the phone. I read an article on BiggerPockets.com that said when homes go up for sale/rent, local MLS websites will have the listings up in a matter of 15 minutes, but it can take websites like Zillow and Trulia, up to nine days to receive the listing! Because of this huge delay, many brokerage companies are withdrawing their listings from these types of apps and you're seeing about four-fifths of the homes that are available.

Finally, it is very hard to get ahold of the listing agent. Besides getting annoyed that I was getting the wrong information from the apps I was using, there were times that I never even heard back from the agents. Many of the apps have the listing agent's number right there on the ad or even a contact form right on the app that emails the agent for you. I used both, and neither really worked. I would call and leave voicemail after voicemail, only to never hear from anyone. However, when my realtor called, they always called her back in a timely manner and made sure to answer whatever questions she (read: I) had.

Don't get me wrong: Zillow, Trulia, and other similar apps all have their place... primarily to fuel my daydreams about one day living in a turn-of-the-century plantation home. All joking aside, I do like those apps to give me a general idea of what I can get for the kind of mortgage or rent I can afford or the general architecture of the homes in a certain area. However, when it's time to get serious about choosing a place to rent or buy, save yourself a headache and use a realtor. It will make the process so much easier and more enjoyable for everyone involved.