Best Pre-Workout Snacks

Best Pre-Workout Snacks

Treat your body before and after exercise.

14
Best Pre-Workout Snacks

Just because it's the holiday season and much of our time is revolved around parties and family activities, doesn't make it any less important to keep up with our fitness routines. Here are some quick and easy pre-workout snack ideas. It's important to eat a light snack before your workout, you need the energy to fuel your activity. Overall working out on an empty stomach can lead to fatigue, impaired performance leading to less calories burned.

Non-fat greek yogurt topped with granola: You need carbs when doing cardio or weight training exercises. Also giving you your protein fix and for an optimal workout is necessary for both pre and post meals.

Whole grain toast with peanut butter: Good for cardio related activities, these easy to digest carbohydrates will leave you feeling full without being too stuffed.

Cottage cheese with grapes or peaches mixed in: Cottage cheese is a slow digesting protein, providing a release of amino acids which work to rebuild and repair muscle fibers.

If you don't have enough time to make a snack...

Protein Bar: Especially good for long distance running, avoid sugar alcohols which can lead to cramping. Shoot for 20 grams of protein, depending on how many miles you plan on putting in should show in how much protein you are consuming.

Banana: Source of carbohydrates and potassium, will keep you sustained through a workout.