A Pre-Meal Ritual To Help You Eat Healthier

A Quick And Easy Pre-Meal Ritual That Will Help You Eat Healthier

A short meditation before eating can improve your eating habits.

152

A few years ago I would have rolled my eyes at the idea of a "pre-meal ritual," but now I integrate it into my day almost every time I eat. It makes helps me make better choices when eating and enjoy my food a lot more.

I have always had a huge appetite and love food of any variety. I will eat anything you put in front of me no matter the time of day, even if I am about to eat, if I just ate or if the food isn't for me. I think a lot of other people would agree with me when I say eating can be therapeutic. It can be used as a way to celebrate, bury sorrows and escape stress. I wanted to break my bad habit of mindlessly eating, and doing this short meditation before reaching for something to munch really changed my mindset.

I do this practice after I cook my meal or before going into the pantry or fridge for a snack. I also try to take a moment when I eat out to run through it either at the table or in the car on the way there. It's a great way to find balance without restriction.

I start out by asking myself a series of questions that I then answer without shame or judgment.

1. Is this food going to use or abuse? Is it going to nourish my body, my soul or both?

This question is the one I find most helpful to stop unnecessary snacking. For example, am I going for a second helping of ice cream before bed? That's probably abuse; my body does not want or need that. But am I eating a stack of pancakes or a hearty bowl of oatmeal before a bike ride to work? That food will be put to good use. The first helping of ice cream may not have provided nourishment to my body, but maybe my soul needed it. That's okay!

2. Why am I eating this food? Am I truly hungry, and is this food truly what I want?

The answers to these could be anything. I could be eating because I'm bored, or I could be eating a salad but I want pizza. I decide if this changes my decision to eat or not. It's not meant to stop me from eating. It is just supposed to bring awareness to my actions.

Then, this question, which surprised me when it became my favorite:

3. Is there anything I should be doing right now instead or in addition to eating this food?

Maybe I already had a nourishing snack and am procrastinating on my homework. Maybe I should fold my clothes and put them away so I don't have anything weighing on me when I eat.

After these questions, I admire the food and set intentions for the meal. Fully appreciate food in front of you, appearance and every bite.

4. Think about how it got to the plate. I found this great quote from Paul Chek that I usually summarize in my head to think of the food journey.

"Great Spirit, All that Is, Creator of my Life, I thank you for the blessings of this food before me, for the life this animal has given, the plants grown in organic soil, and all the people – the farmers and growers, transporters, clerks – all those who have contributed to bringing me life in the form of preparing and cooking this food as a recycling of love, light and energy. I am most grateful for the Love that weaves our lives together. I invite and welcome you into my being to be reborn through me for the uplifting and benefit of all beings – as light, Love and positive energy. Ah Ho!"

5. Then, I think of how my body is going to use the food.

I am going to use it to think, to laugh, to walk, to run, jump, hop, skip, sleep, to replenish myself after a hard workout or to feed my soul.

6. I admire the food on my plate, vowing to appreciate every bite. What catches my eye on the plate? What excites me? How does it smell?

Then I go at it.

This may seem like a lot, but I promise you can answer these questions quickly and honestly, and although it may seem silly, it will make a difference in your eating habits and the pleasure you get from your food.

I encourage you to try this for three days and see the difference it makes.