You Need To Start Using Your Love Language On Yourself

Love yourself before you love others.

6

What is a love language? And what does it mean? There is a test online that you can take to figure out how you like to give and receive love. It is basically like your classic personality quiz, but the results are quite interesting. The five languages are words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, quality time, and physical touch. At the end of the quiz, you get a percentage of how much you enjoy each one. It actually is a great way to reflect on yourself and evaluate how you respond to certain actions. If you haven't taken the quiz, I highly suggest you do because this is how I found out how to be happier.

I love to compliment people.

As you can guess from this sentence, words of affirmation hold first place for my love language. One of my best gifts, or at least I think so, is listening to people. I will honestly listen to people all day if it just means that I can be with them. I like it when people listen to me too, but I love hearing other people talk about their lives and their problems. When people come to me with a problem, I strive to motivate them. I compliment them, tell them "You got this", and assure them that I believe in them. This is my love language.

I love to compliment people, but I don't compliment myself.

This is what I discovered about myself. I will motivate someone until they accomplish whatever they are doing, but I won't do the same for me. Why? It makes sense that if my love language is giving words of affirmation, then I also like receiving words of affirmation. I love when people compliment and motivate me, but sometimes I need it most when it is not given if that makes sense.

I decided I needed to use my love language on myself.

Ever since quarantine, I have been really trying to practice self-love. Quarantine has made me be in a huge funk, and I am sure a lot of you guys can agree. I discovered that it is so hard to love others if you do not love yourself. And loving others is basically my passion! I decided I needed to change my life around if I wanted to start this school year on a good note and that started with waking up every morning and saying to myself, "You are unstoppable." This sounds like it is straight from a Pinterest mood board, and honestly, it probably is. But guys, I can not explain the power this will place on you. This is the ultimate motivator because it is the first thing I hear when I wake up. This sets the mindset for the day. I also say other words of affirmation to myself, depending on my mood or the situation. Words like "you are beautiful", "you are strong", and "you are loved." You have the power to say whatever you want.

This is something you have to believe.

If you don't believe, you won't succeed. You have to believe good things will happen to you. You can also use this mindset on the other love languages. For example, receiving gifts. Once in a while, treat yourself to something. I promise you that you will feel a whole lot better when you do something for yourself every now and then.