To College Students Trying To Stay Positive

"You can do anything if you put your mind to it"

318
Goalcast

When I was younger, I quickly understood that being negative in a poor situation was the opposite of helpful. I knew that they only way to get through the worst of times was the keep my head up.

This mentality of "everything is going to be okay" is what has gotten me through the darkest points of my life: when members of my family were in the hospital, when money was tight, and when I just didn't feel like I was enough.

What started off as a coping mechanism has revealed itself to be a mental skill that guides me in my life every day.

The power of the human mind still baffles me to this day. It's incredible what can happen when you put your mind toward something. Whether this thinking warm thoughts in a cold classroom to keep you warm, or cheering yourself on during a race until you force yourself to cross the finish line.

The mind is a powerful tool.

I took this logic about how the mind can alter a physical state and applied to my mental state in times of crisis or conflict. This way of thinking has proved to be a tool.

This has become especially prevalent in my life as a college student, where my life is plagued by trying, unexpected and overwhelming moments.

For instance, when I feel myself becoming overly stressed out with homework, studying and/or extracurricular activities, I have to constantly remind myself that there isn't anything I cannot handle.

I occupy my mind with positive thoughts of encouragement; I constantly remind myself that the end product will always be worth it.

When I've applied for organizations and internships I make sure to go into that interview with all the confidence in the world. Because when you show the world you believe in yourself, they tend to believe in you as well.

The power of positive thinking allows me to surpass my limits everyday-- it helps me think miles outside of the box.

I spend less time worrying and stressing, and more time striving and becoming better.

However, the biggest reminder in this whole process is the understanding that failure and hardships are inevitable.

How you deal with failure and overcome obstacles reveals the most about your character than victory after victory.

Accepting, and even welcoming failure keeps your become mind strong and ready for what will come.