Positive Vibes, Positive Life

Positive Vibes, Positive Life

School is hard, but little things to brighten your day are always the answer.

18
Positive Vibes, Positive Life

Let's face it. The first week or so in college is pretty rad. You're just arriving on campus, have free time to catch up with friends, bake a cake, take a trip to the beach... you name it, but what do you do when you finally hit that point of no more syllabus classes? When the work load begins to pile up out of your control, and you feel like you're slowly drowning in your responsibilities... what do you do to relax/take a break? A sense of positivity and being able to take a step back and breathe has always been such a crucial aspect needed in my life and I thought I'd share some quick and easy things that can help take away some stress/put a smile on your pretty little face...

1. Tea: Now, I'm definitely an "oops I drank a whole pot of coffee this morning" kind of girl, but brewing a good ole cup of tea midday, on the way to an afternoon lecture, studying, and/or before bed has always been my go to drink to restore a bit of serenity. Maybe not for everyone, but I can say I've always been calmer/more focused with a cup of tea in hand. I've been a big fan of coconut green tea lately, but anything gingery/green tea-like always brings upon a smile. Protip: In these late weeks of summer, iced tea is good as well. Grabbing an unsweetened iced tea on the way to class is always a go-to; especially when you can buy one for $1.51 at the Bowdoin cafe; score!

2. Hair; Time crunches make this tricky, but whenever I have an extra 5-10 min in my day I try to experiment with fun hair-dos. With training, I'm always looking for new hair ideas to keep my hair in place and comfy while working out and for post workouts. I've decided the double french braid can be functional yet give off a cutesy vibe. When I know I'm going to have a busy day, I'll quickly double braid my hair the night before, and I'm usually able to get right up at the crack of dawn, swim, and get to class without worrying about all that hair styling fuss. Sometimes it'll get messy throughout the day, but luckily by then you can take out the braids and be able to rock some waves and curves. It's a win win. I've been trying to nail down how to do this braid: https://www.pinterest.com/explore/5-strand-braids/ so if anyone figures it out, let me know!

3. Working Out: When you're stressed out/exhausted, the last thing you want to do is do physical activity, I totally get it. If there's one thing I've learned from Brad (there are actually many many things but this one stuck out) is that if you're not doing physical activity, you are not maximizing your education to its fullest potential. Say what? No, it's true, believe me, it makes sense I promise. During heavy testing periods in a D3 academically rigorous school, athletic teams are not allowed to make practices mandatory. Most people would take advantage of this no practice life, but my coach always stresses how working out will help you focus more, and be better for your overall well being. I absolutely agree with this. Even a short 20-30 min run or stroll will get you moving and afterwards you'll feel a sense of "let's go", and want to be productive.

4. Sleep: Usually, this is not my go to answer, but every once in awhile, a nap is most definitely needed. When 1-3 have you too exhausted, sometimes a good nap or Netflix (probs no chill ;) ) can help you to re-energize so you can keep trucking through your to-do list.

5. Jams: Cranking up the tunes always, always, ALWAYS, gets me in a happy, let's do this sorta mood. I recommend Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus to be a pretty solid go-to. If you don't know the words... learn them, trust me, it's worth it.

Smile! Be happy!