5 Positive Mental Health Habits You Should Pick Up During Your Self-Quarantine

Don't just stay in bed and eat chips all day, start taking care of and loving yourself.

40

For those of us who have been diligently self-quarantining at home, it's easy to get lost within the endless cycle of sleeping, eating, and doing nothing. Maybe the first couple of days you tried to stick to your routine as much as possible, but after a couple of weeks, it all begs the same question: What's the point?

I can't stress how important it is to either try and keep to a routine or pick up some new or better habits to make up for the lack of life. One positive way to go about this quarantining and social isolation period is to get more in tune with yourself. During our busy days, we talk about how we "never have the time" to do this or that. Now, we have all the time in the world (or so it seems), so take advantage of it.

1. Journaling.

I know journaling can seem boring and like "too much work," but I promise that your future self will thank you. There are so many different ways to journal, as well as so many different things you could journal about, that the possibilities are endless. Journaling can help manage your anxiety, reduce your stress, and cope with depression! I know many of us have been going crazy being stuck inside and unable to follow our normal day-to-day routine, so this can help alleviate some of that anxiousness and restlessness! Journaling works best when done often, so try setting aside a time to write every day, such as before bed. This will allow you to reassess your day, and you can even catalogue how you've felt throughout the day and how you feel at the end of the day. It's a great way to keep track of your mental health throughout what seems like an endless time at home.

2. Reading.

As someone who is an avid reader, I can't think of a better way to pass the day(s) than to immerse yourself into a book and get lost for a couple of hours. A book that truly interests you will have the power to do that, I promise. Thankfully, if you don't have access to paperbacks, you can easily start and finish a book on your iPhone/iPad. Apps such as iBooks or Kindle (yes, there's a Kindle app) allow you to start and stop easily, read on the go (or in bed), and even adjust the screen to help your eyes (brightness, page color, etc). If I'm being honest, I've taken multiple "bathroom breaks" during work just to sneak in a chapter or two (thankfully, I'm a fast reader so it doesn't take long).

3. Yoga.

Throughout the last couple of years, more and more of my friends have been taking up yoga but I've never really seen the appeal. As someone who suffers from major anxiety, I wish I had picked up yoga sooner. I've been struggling with insomnia for years and doing yoga before bed has actually helped my mind and body relax and quiet down! There are so many mental and physical health benefits, and the best part is, it doesn't even take up that much of your time! As a beginner, I started out doing only 10-20 minute sessions in the morning and right before bed. After a week, I already feel an improvement in my sleep schedule, my back pain, and even my anxiety! I highly suggest Yoga by Adriene, her voice is so soothing and she has so many videos available for all levels! Bonus: her dog is usually in her Youtube videos, so if that doesn't make you want to start, then I don't know what will. Take advantage of this extended "staycation" and get in tune with yourself!

4. Meditating.

I guess the trend here is mindfulness, positivity, and relaxation. Being stuck at home, either by yourself or even surrounded by others, can really drive a person up the wall. It can become too much too fast, so do yourself a favor and take the time to listen to your body and your needs. Meditation helps lower your stress levels, improve your focus, enhance self-awareness. The basis of meditating is simply taking the time to notice your mind, body, and self.

5. Exercise.

Jalaiah💕 on TikTok

www.tiktok.com

Before you try to fight me, exercising comes in many styles and forms. By exercise, I'm not referring to mile runs or lifting weights. Something as simple as a walk around your neighborhood after dinner or learning a Tik Tok dance works just as well! You want to get moving and that blood to be pumping. Exercising can help boost your overall mood, and keep you from hating yourself once you finish yet another bag of chips... If your house has two stories, go up and down the stairs a couple times. Don't waste away in bed during your self-quarantine, try to move around. I promise that your mind and your body will thank you.