Don't Let Politics Destroy Your Relationships
Politics

It's not worth your breath.

603

Coming home after my first semester of college, for the first time in my life I knew my political affiliation. I knew what I stood for and stood behind that. However, I also realized how different my own brother's views were from mine. To be honest they are 100% opposite from mine and naturally we started to argue, a lot. Almost everyday somehow politics came up and there we were, arguing once again. Finally we accepted our differences, realized our differing views would not change the views of each other, and we agreed to not bring it up. I realized different political views are not important as the relationship we have with one another. It is not worth tension between siblings, parents, or significant others either. These arguments can be avoided so easily by just a few ways, and help everyone survive the upcoming holiday season around those with different views on anything. Here are some ways to accomplish that:

1. Talk about common interests.

Do not talk about Donald Trump. Do not. Talk about school, weather, childhood, aka- things you can both smile about not disagree on.

2. Agree to disagree.

If the world did not agree to disagree at this point, we would have been living in the sixth world war. Realize that your opinion won't change other people's opinions, and move on.

3. Accept the fact that neither of you are "right."

Political viewpoints, or viewpoints on anything for that matter have no right or wrong solution. They are different thought processes and no one can prove that one is better than the other, even if you strongly disagree.

4. Change the subject.

If you feel the topic coming up or tension rising, say something random and turn the conversation around before it gets ugly.

5. It's not your job to teach anyone a lesson.

Do not be upset you did not get to express why you think women don't have a right to choose what they do to their bodies. Nobody cares what you think and it will just cause problems and make people mad.

6. No viewpoint is worth ruining a relationship.

Nothing is worth ruining bonds between family and people we care about. Family and friends come first.