Poetry On Odyssey: Love Yourself

Poetry On Odyssey: Love Yourself

A poem for me, about me, to me.

At 15 I never thought of love

At 13 I lost my Serenity

At 15 I lost plenty

My fight has always been against me

Self-sabotage has been the tea

Sipping on my issues within myself

Asking for the one that never tears up help

Funded education by the grant called Pell

State of Illinois has saved this kid many times

Education has better this mans rhymes

Every year a letter of more and more doubt is signed

As the years go, so does my mind

In a way that you may think is fine

To where the child is the man

To where there is a plan

The plan is magnificent in its making

To where people are generally interested and not faking

There is a book

It has been laid out by the cook

The cook is me

It is everything I have ever needed for me

Bridging the wide gap between imagination and reality

It’s healthy it’s my green tea

My whole life I have felt unfree

Free and unfree but belonging to nobody

Spelling out confusion in this life like a spelling bee

Calling on others, myself, and hate with no caller id

Mysterious veils of truths shrouded in emotionally wrote hyperboles

Be safe and confine in me

Be me and deny in me

Be me and win in me

Be me and lose it all with me

Be me and crush everyone with me

Be me and come back with me

Be me and try next time with me

Sit off in the distance and sail the Caribbean Sea

Caribbean Sea inhabit-anted by me

By my hopes and dreams

You would see the positive and negative extremes

You would see the effect of many regimes

You would get to see my life and it’s theme

You would see that everyone has their teams

As you sail the sea you will see me flying by the waves

Because to energy I am a slave

Always always somehow sending shockwaves

Because it’s the experience that saves

Waiting waiting for me to fall to my grave

Growing up is such a hard thing to do

At 23 I have gained and lost everything

At 23 I am me

At 23 I will win everything

Me At 23 you will see

In 2018 winning is me and today I am winning

Cover Image Credit: Bryon Pierson

The Best Tips For Acne-Prone Skin

You already have a stressful enough life, do you really need pimples too?

As If life is not hard enough, it throws another struggle. A...Acne? Yes, acne. The wonderful red marks that tell the world, I had extra bacteria on my face, and well, now it is like this. We all know how frustrating it can be to have a face full of pimples, here are some tips on how to work towards a clear face.

1. Be educated on medicine types.

The two most known kind of acne fighting medicine are Benzoyl Peroxide and Salicylic Acid. A big part of knowing what will work for you is knowing what each does. Benzoyl Peroxide gets rid of the dirtiness and harmful substances within your pores by causing the skin to dry out and peel. When Salicylic Acid sheds the outer layer of your skin, it helps unclog pores but does not kill bacteria the way Benzoyl Peroxide does.

2. Expect the worse.

Once you know the types of medicines, it is time to choose a face wash, then (optional) a topical medication for some added cleanliness. Remember, it is not all rainbows and butterflies when picking the products that you use, and new allergies can begin at any time. It may take a while for you to find which products work best, but in the end, it is worth it if it means skin you feel confident in.

3. Wear breathable makeup.

Makeup can be worn in many different ways and by using many different products. A lot of people enjoy wearing makeup, but it can be a problem when it causes acne. Thicker (heavy coverage) foundations tend to seep into your pores, although you may be thinking: “why is this not good? It is filling up the pores so bad oils and dirts cannot get in?” Remember that some of the healthiest things for your face are the natural oils your face produces on its own. If you absolutely have to (we have all been there) I recommend something lighter, such as a mineral powder like Maybelline New York and Bare Minerals sell. Products like those will not make it look as if a pimple is not there, but it will take the color away. If you feel like you need thicker makeup, go for Neutrogena's makeup line. Although it is pricey, most (if not all) of the makeup contains Salicylic Acid, which will help your face combat acne all day long!

4. Change your pillowcase frequently.

I know this may sound silly, but yes, having a dirty pillowcase may be causing your acne. You use a pillowcase for at least 7 hours a day, that is 7 hours for dirty bacteria to make its way into your pores, it will end up in a breakout. Some other things you should do frequently, disinfect your phone screen, use paper towels to dry your face off with (used hand towels spread more bacteria, and laundry detergent left in new hand towels can cause irritation) and throw your hats in the washer. Try not to touch your face at all if possible, the dirt from your hands can transfer on to your face and that will end in acne. For this reason, remember to always wash your hands before going to touch your face to wash it. These may sound silly, but I am telling you, they make a world of a difference.

5. Drink lots of water.

Believe it or not, like everything in this world, diet and water have a lot to do with acne. It is proven that when someone eats less junk food their face is generally clearer. A disclaimer though is that there is no official proof that things like pizza and chocolate cause acne.

6. Keep a schedule.

Know when you are going to go through your acne routine a day. Will it be once a day? Twice a day? Set an alarm on your phone for every day and every time you want to go through your skincare routine. For beginners, I strongly recommend trying out everything that is new once a day, then changing it to two times a day when your resistance goes up. The schedule is tedious at first, but once you get the hang of it you will not even need to think about it again.

7. Know your limits.

This one mostly comes with time, but know that you can not get a new face wash, wash your face 3 times a day and expect acne to be gone tomorrow. Treat face washes and topical medication as real medication, begin in small doses and gradually get larger. An example I have here is, I know that I am allergic to Benzoyl Peroxide, therefore I cannot use it every day or any day at that fact, so I stick to only Salicylic Acid and now tea tree oil (a natural alternative of Benzoyl Peroxide).

8. Feel confident regardless.

Remember that you are a beautiful and badass woman or man. Acne is natural, just like love and sex, If someone does not love you because of your acne, dump them.

9. Do not forget moisturizer.

Moisturizer is so important when it comes to acne because many of these products will dry out skin. Throw some on after using your topical medicine and your face will never be peeling from how dry your face is.

10. Get motivated.

Set your goal and achieve it. Nothing (especially acne related) is going to be resolved overnight. Decide quickly that this is something you are going to do and you are going to stick to. Set alarms for the one or two times a day you should be washing your face, always remember to get out a new towel to dry off your face with, and never forget the topical medication!

Take some of these tips and try it out for yourself! Remember if you have hit rock bottom: there is such thing as a pill to take that will get rid of your acne, but there are a lot of side effects. Do not get on those meds unless completely necessary. Best of luck to you on this rough journey, I hope my suggestions helped!