Poetry On Odyssey: Love Yourself

Poetry On Odyssey: Love Yourself

A poem for me, about me, to me.
70

At 15 I never thought of love

At 13 I lost my Serenity

At 15 I lost plenty

My fight has always been against me

Self-sabotage has been the tea

Sipping on my issues within myself

Asking for the one that never tears up help

Funded education by the grant called Pell

State of Illinois has saved this kid many times

Education has better this mans rhymes

Every year a letter of more and more doubt is signed

As the years go, so does my mind

In a way that you may think is fine

To where the child is the man

To where there is a plan

The plan is magnificent in its making

To where people are generally interested and not faking

There is a book

It has been laid out by the cook

The cook is me

It is everything I have ever needed for me

Bridging the wide gap between imagination and reality

It’s healthy it’s my green tea

My whole life I have felt unfree

Free and unfree but belonging to nobody

Spelling out confusion in this life like a spelling bee

Calling on others, myself, and hate with no caller id

Mysterious veils of truths shrouded in emotionally wrote hyperboles

Be safe and confine in me

Be me and deny in me

Be me and win in me

Be me and lose it all with me

Be me and crush everyone with me

Be me and come back with me

Be me and try next time with me

Sit off in the distance and sail the Caribbean Sea

Caribbean Sea inhabit-anted by me

By my hopes and dreams

You would see the positive and negative extremes

You would see the effect of many regimes

You would get to see my life and it’s theme

You would see that everyone has their teams

As you sail the sea you will see me flying by the waves

Because to energy I am a slave

Always always somehow sending shockwaves

Because it’s the experience that saves

Waiting waiting for me to fall to my grave

Growing up is such a hard thing to do

At 23 I have gained and lost everything

At 23 I am me

At 23 I will win everything

Me At 23 you will see

In 2018 winning is me and today I am winning

Cover Image Credit: Bryon Pierson

Don't Wait Until You Have Everything Figured Out, Find Your Bliss Now

Life is very beautiful, and we shouldn't let it pass by without first experiencing its beauty.
87

Ever since high school, I have delayed gratification because I want to have everything figured out before experiencing happiness. The majority of the time, I choose homework over parties, office hours over lunch dates, and saving money over treating myself. This might not sound all that bad, however, I am never really enjoying life, I am always "torturing" myself before I can experience even the slightest bit of happiness.

Please, do not be like me. Don't wait until your life is "perfect" to experience happiness. If you happen to fall in love with someone, and if they treat you with kindness, let that love develop. Don't stop it because you are not financially stable or even emotionally stable. If you really love this person and if they love you back, you can work on those things together.

Similarly, if your friends invite you to the movies or mall, go with them, and enjoy your time with them. Homework can wait sometimes. Make time in your day to do the things you love because the day only has 24 hours, and those hours sure go by fast.

Do not wait until you are old and can barely move to do the things you love. Do those things now before it's too late. Your death is a mystery, you can die now, tomorrow, or in fifty years. There is no exact date of when your death is, therefore, find your bliss now before you're gone forever.

On a more positive note, life is very beautiful, and we shouldn't let it pass by without first experiencing its beauty. We have to find our bliss now, not never. If your bliss, like mine, involves traveling, shopping, spending time with friends, or having spontaneous photo shoots, then do just that. Just live your life to the fullest, and don't wait, like I often do, to experience happiness. Find your bliss now!