A Poem to the Insecure Girl; Finding Your Worth

You are your own lover.

1591

This world needs to be guided by a light like you. You’ll show us the way to a life full of truth.

The poem that you are about to read was written my senior year of high school as an essay for the college common application. I have only let a select few of people read it into its entirety because the poem made me feel naked, exposed. I always found it so hard to show people my writing, afraid of hearing people's hateful remarks. However, I would get the opposite reaction when I would build up the courage to actually show people who I am through writing. They relate and I am not alone.

So here's to the insecure girl that felt like her words were not meant to be heard. Here's to the girl that finally found her worth. She still struggles with believing it, but deep within, she knows that she is a light in this world. And so are you.

She's never been one to be confident in her own skin. All the compliments made to her seem to only wear out thin. Her ears are deaf to the lies that they speak. They inject her with confidence so that she doesn't feel so weak. People wonder why she believes their uplifting words are lies. Maybe because she's estimated her worth on what the mirror defines.

For many years she has wondered why they saw her as beautiful. Because the only thoughts that she’s had of herself are always so hurtful. She never seemed to realize that she's the criminal of her own self-worth. She's neglected to see the beauty that she has possessed since birth.

Her eyes may have been drowned with the tears of heartbreak and loss. But they are also a flood filled with magnificent chaos. They gleam with wonder when she talks about her passions. They are no longer hidden by the curtains of depression. Her skin is scarred with blemishes of anxiety and stress. But it is also a reminder that life doesn’t continue to always be a mess. The sun makes her skin shine as if fairies have kissed it with their sparkling lips. It no longer is shaded by the darkness of a solar eclipse. She may also have chubby cheeks that in the modeling world are not in style. But she now sees that they blossom into enchanting roses whenever she smiles.She grew up an insecure girl.

But as she grows older, she's no longer the same. Her beauty shines brighter than a night sky’s stars or a bonfire’s flames. Beyond the flaws, insecurities, and imperfections, she sees something more. Her beauty runs deeper, it cuts straight through her core. She was born with a light that’s been hidden inside longing to be set free. It’s been suffocating beneath her skin and bones waiting for the chance to finally breathe. For so long, she was lost within her own fear. Afraid to admit that she's worth it and that the world needs her here. A light lives within her that she shouldn’t be afraid to shine. It’ll guide herself and the world to a place most divine.

Her confidence has been blinded by negative thoughts that live in her head. She used to cry herself to sleep and never felt the need to get out of bed. She thought herself too worthless to be living.

That was until she found her purpose of inspiring others through her writing. One day she used her blessing to change others views on themselves and their lives. And now they look at her with glimmers of hope and say “Thank you. I no longer wish to die.”

At almost 20 years old, she sees herself enlightened with truth. Before, she saw herself through naive eyes because of her youth. The truth that lies within her is that she is in fact beautiful and not at all worthless. The light that she has finally discovered in her has illuminated with awareness. Whenever her life is seemingly black and white, she thinks of the light that’s sewn within her and reassures herself that everything is going to be alright. Life doesn’t need to be perfect to be wonderful and neither do I. With all the tears comes a rainbow ready to pierce through the sky.

If you've read this far, thank you. Thank you for letting me share something so personal to my heart and thank you for accepting it. Now it's your turn insecure girl. Show the world that your insecurities don't define you. They shouldn't keep you from showing the world what you have to offer. Go shine your light. I promise, you're worth it.