Poetry On Odyssey: Hello, Yet Goodbye

Poetry On Odyssey: Hello, Yet Goodbye

In all of my hurting, I didn't think that maybe you were hurting too...

6

This poem was written about a high school boy that I was infatuated with at the time. Through all of the fights and rough patches we went through, he would never tell me how he truly felt. This was my take on realizing that maybe I hurt him just as much as he was hurting me, and how no matter what I will probably never truly know what our intentions were with each other, or why it wasn't meant to be.

Hello, Yet Goodbye

Sometimes I get flashbacks

Signs that should have flashed brightly before me

Muffled by sheets and towels over 3 pm windows

In all of my hurting, I didn't think that maybe you were hurting too

Until we both stood at the end

Battered and bloody

Beaten and bruised

I was so caught up in the gunfire and smoke that I didn't see them carry you away in a makeshift stretcher

Held together with the fragments of sentences and a little too much wishful thinking,

I bet you didn't know that when gunslingers recklessly pull their triggers,

Guns aimed at the clouds; they really can shoot down angels.

I am sorry

They will hang your halo on the stoplight right outside your house

I will say a prayer every time I pass underneath it

Who knew a spot on a map would hurt?

Sometimes I wonder how many times I'll have to look up at your window until I realize

It will not whisper to me exactly where it all fell apart

They say that if you don't hold your breath when you pass a cemetery, you lose seven seconds of your life,

Did you know that your front porch is a graveyard?