Why You Should Play "Stellaris"

Why You Should Play "Stellaris"

A glimpse into a sci-fi strategy game for the ages

320
Why You Should Play "Stellaris"
Gamer Professionals

Looking for a title that combines all the best of science-fiction, strategy, and diplomacy? Then boy do I have a game for you. I refer to Paradox Interactive's Stellaris, an immersive digital space race that challenges players to assert themselves as a flagship galactic superpower. The risks are great, the rewards are many, and the experience is rewarding whether playing alone or with a group of over two dozen other intrepid explorers.

The game, like any good real-time strategy engine, incorporates a multifaceted approach to interstellar development and expansion, covering economic, scientific, political, domestic, and military factors. Despite that wide breadth of areas and abilities, the game does well to simplify its interface and render decision making diverse but easy to process. More often than not, the help options and gameplay mechanics work to color each individual's own experience, leaving no one in the dust and allowing for a riveting setting whether you're a beginner or a returning player.

One major component that initially lured me to the game was its near-endless font of creative freedom. The genesis of your faction is left entirely up to the player. Species type, appearance, biological features, and governance are at your very finger tips, allowing for countless combinations and potential paths to power. The same goes for any generated AI's. Whereas you may discover a pacifistic patch of democratic fungi in one corner, an autocracy of genocidal starfish may be lying in ambush just around the bend. And, just as no one entity is identical to another, the traits you choose will always produce different effects depending who you're dealing with. Whether a mega-corporation or a military junta, a champion of xenophiles or xenophobes, each mark left on the galaxy is guaranteed to be wholly unique.

Moreover, the technical aspects of the game flow beautifully at a rhythm rarely seen nowadays. Time is not always something we consider when sitting down at our desktop, but if I find myself waiting a millennia just to finish building a power generator or launch a corvette, something is evidently at fault. While some titles such as Sins of a Solar Empire and Sid Meyer's Civilization tend to drag one aground at a snail's pace, Stellaris seems to have found the Goldilocks time bracket for construction, research, and combat. It runs neither too fast nor too slow, keeping the player engaged and motivated without punishing deficiencies or sugarcoating successes. You may not rule the universe within ten minutes, but when dimensional horrors burst forth from the void, you can rest easy knowing you won't be stuck with a three-member fleet.

All that said and done, don't merely take my word for it. The game proper is often prone to steam sales and other discounts, and although it may not be the cheapest title on the market, it is heartily worth its weight. From initiates to seasoned strategy players, Stellaris has a little something to offer to both the professional and casual gamer. I know I haven't the slightest notion to stop playing, and do be warned, once you make the leap, there's no turning back.