How Millennials Can Keep Their Lives Organized

Organization is key.

64
Unsplash

My mom carries around a Franklin planner; it’s been that way for as long as I can remember. Her book-sized organizer fits perfectly on the baby seat of a grocery basket, the armrest between the driver’s seat and even the airplane pullout table. Anything my mom writes in her planner happens—eventually. No one is as prepared as my mother and from an early age I learned a healthy and productive way to organize my life. Where some little girls wanted to wear their mother’s red lipstick, I wanted to hold my mother’s Franklin planner. Now, I have my own planner and I believe organization is key—especially with an upcoming busy school year. I still find myself using the same techniques my mom uses with her own planner. Here’s a helpful list of rules (and another here!) to help keep your planner--and life--organized!

1. Write in pencil

Unless it's a birthday, don't even think about writing in pen. It's a sure disaster for a date change. Using a pencil makes things easier to erase, which means space for other plans along the way. Plus, you can doodle in the corners of the pages without ink bleeding through!

2. Use the contact page

I can understand your concern, it means relying less on your phone and more on your brain; however, on the off chance your phone isn't with you, the contact page can work as a backup for important addresses and phone numbers. Also, writing someone's name down on paper helps you remember it better. "But, don't adults use contact pages?" Yeah, yes, they do. You're one step closer to being an adult. You can do it though, I believe in you!

3. Choose a durable planner

My mom used the same planner for 13 years. She bought new pages to bind inside the beige leather cover, which zippered up three of the four sides. Over time, the cover was scratched and stained with tears (thanks to me) but it looked brand new on the inside. No wrinkled pages or bent corners--unless she dog-eared it intentionally. Whether you own a Lilly Pulitzer or Staples brand, make sure it's ready for everything--especially tears if you have a busy schedule ahead of you. In fact, investing in a water proof cover isn't a bad idea. A flimsy planner will always fall apart at the most inconvenient moment.

4. Know your necessities

Know enough about your planning abilities to understand what kind of planner you need. Is a monthly calendar something you count on? Do you need a weekly or daily agenda section? These decisions can make a difference in the way you plan ahead and stay on track with your accomplishments. There are plenty of options to choose from.

5. There must be a folder

You must invest in a planner that comes with a folder. It can accordion out from the back cover page or have it's own separate section, but it must be attached. I've lost too many important post-it notes and index cards for a folder not to be a priority. Honestly, you'll end up using it more than you think.

6. Leave notes for yourself

Surprise yourself by writing "Me Time" four Sundays in advanced or a motivational quote on a random Monday. With so much going on, you'll forget you wrote them down and end up smiling when you find them. You'll thank yourself later.

7. Personalize it

These 6" x 8" pages, bound together by a coiled spine, hold everything that's important to you. Make it yours! Don't dread opening it because the pages are dull and the cover is gray. Pick a style or pattern you like. Use stickers that represent the things you stand for. Use that folder to slip in a picture of you and a loved one. A planner only works well if you love using it.

These planner rules help me remember tasks, keep track of dates, and organize my plans. I see the convenience in using your phone as an organizer, but I need something tangible that represents everything important in my life. Plus, I really like personalizing all the pages! What are some of the rules you apply to keeping a organized planner?