Places You Can Volunteer Right Now

Places You Can Volunteer Right Now

It's a new year, new you, right?

375
Places You Can Volunteer Right Now

It's a new year, and a new you, which means there are things you can do that you never thought of before. The obvious New Year's resolutions are to lose weight, go to the gym more, etc. However, have you ever thought of helping other people, along with yourself? There are multiple places to volunteer in every town if you know how to look for them, and if you know exactly what you're looking for. If you volunteer, not only will you feel better about yourself, but you will be making someone else's life better, too. Here are some common places that always take volunteers:

Animal Shelters

OK, so who doesn't love puppies and kittens? Animal shelters offer much more than that, however. Usually, there are older dogs and cats that need to be reintroduced to people because they've had a rough life. Every animal in the world just wants some love, so why can't it be you who gives it to them?

Food Banks

This is a personal favorite, as I've been volunteering with a local food bank for three years now, and I can honestly testify to how rewarding it is. There are programs within the food bank itself, so you always know exactly who you're feeding.

Homeless Shelters

Even if you live in a small town, it's easy to realize there are many homeless people, many of whom won't admit that they're struggling. Helping the homeless is one of the better volunteer services, because these people hit a rough patch in their life and could use a boost.

Nursing Homes

There are always opportunities for volunteers at nursing homes, because they're often understaffed. Usually volunteering at a nursing home will include simply sitting with the residents and talking to them, and giving them a friend when their families can't visit.

Social Services

Social services often have many opportunities for volunteers and for those in need. They provide food stamps, counseling, and many more programs, depending on the situation. This is a way to get a broad sense of the community and to help in multiple areas at once.

Educational Programs

There are multiple programs that involve education for children in the area, and it's often very rewarding. There are many tutoring and youth center needs, especially in low-income cities. The children are the future, and it's our job to ensure that future has opportunities.

Red Cross/Disaster Relief

Constantly, Mother Nature is ravaging places around the world, resulting in heavy levels of need in these places. Usually, it's not possible for people to travel to these places in order to help. However, it is possible to do things to help from your town. The American Red Cross always accepts blood donations and volunteers, and there are many other disaster relief foundations that accept any and all help.

Environmental Services

With the warm weather over Christmas, we are all aware that global warming is really becoming an issue. While there may be limited places to volunteer specifically for the environment in small towns, everyone can be a part of a better world and better future. Find out how to recycle in your area, and take it to heart.

We all have a hand in what happens in this world, so make it a better one. Go volunteer today!