Top 15 Best Eats Of Maui
food

15 Food Places You Must Try On Your Next Visit To Maui

Planning a trip to Maui? These are places you won't want to miss!

139
Adrienne Kalehuawehe

Before moving to Arizona, I spent the first seven years of my life living on Maui. One of the biggest things that my mom and I agreed on that we missed most about home (besides the beach, obviously), was the food. Luckily for me, even after our move, I'd still return to the island to visit my dad during winter and summer vacation because my parents were divorced. During those visits, my dad and I, along with his new wife and daughter, would always find new and delicious places to eat! Here are some of my personal favorites that I highly recommend visiting the next time you're on Maui!

1. The Plantation House

Sunday Brunch at the Plantation House

Adrienne Kalehuawehe

Located in Kapalua, the Plantation House is one of my favorite places to have a nice Sunday brunch after church. One of the main reasons that the Plantation House is one of my favorites is because it offers a panoramic view of the ocean and mountains which is beautiful to look at while you enjoy a delicious meal made from fresh ingredients!

2. Down The Hatch

Chicken and Waffles at Down the Hatch

Adrienne Kalehuawehe

Another one of my favorite breakfast places on Front Street in Lahaina is Down the Hatch. This hole in the wall restaurant serves some of the best fried rice and chicken and waffles I've ever had! The chicken has the perfect balance of tenderness and crispiness, which, combined with the fluffiness of the waffles, is sheer heaven. The taste is intensified with the addition of their house-made ranch, lava lava sauce, and country gravy!

3. Sam Sato's Inc

Famous "Dry Noodles" from Sam Sato's

Adrienne Kalehuawehe

Sam Sato's is an inexpensive local favorite that has been family owned since 1933. Now run by their third generation, Sam Sato's offers a variety of inexpensive noodles and plate lunches that is open for both breakfast and lunch! One of their most famous dishes is their "dry noodles" which is just noodles that are unaccompanied by soup, flavored with the restaurant's own seasoning recipe. It is almost always busy, so I've learned that it's best to get there ahead of the rush (or to just order take out)!

4. Ichiban Okazuya

Chicken Katsu Curry from Ichiban Okazuya

Adrienne Kalehuawehe

One of my dad's favorite places to eat at is Ichiban Okazuya! At Ichiban Okazuya, meals are created cafeteria-style with a wide variety of food such as steamed broccoli, Korean chicken, unagi (eel) don, teriyaki chicken, and more! What you point and choose is what is put on your plate! Their chicken katsu is one of the best on the island! Just reminiscing about my plate of steaming white rice, mac salad (macaroni salad), and crispy chicken katsu drizzled in curried potatoes and carrots makes my mouth water.

5. Aloha Mixed Plate

Kalbi Plate from Aloha Mixed Plate

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfEpk39AnuP/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=11ifmfjh8620t

Aloha Mixed Plate is a great place to enjoy luau food without being at a luau! This particularly includes poi, made from taro that is grown on the property, kalua pig, and pork laulau. The restaurant was originally the kitchen and bar for the Old Lahaina Luau, one of Maui's historic attractions, which influences some of its meals, thus making it very authentic! Aloha Mixed Plate is the place to be for beachside dining and offers both sit-down and take-out!

6. Restaurant Matsu

Mochiko Chicken from Restaurant Matsu

Adrienne Kalehuawehe

One of my mom's favorite places to eat when I was younger, which quickly became my favorite place to eat, is Restaurant Matsu! In my book, Restaurant Matsu is famous for its mochiko chicken which is always served piping hot and extra crunchy! Aside from their mochiko chicken, they serve every Japanese favorite such as pork sukiyaki, teriyaki salmon, fried oyster, ramen, soba, chicken katsu, udon, and various types of sushi rolls! Everything served at the restaurant is made from scratch, and the prices there are very reasonable!

7. Tokyo Tei

Tempura at Tokyo Tei

Adrienne Kalehuawehe

Tokyo Tei is one of my great-grandpa's favorite places to eat. I love coming here because it reminds me of all of the lunches and dinners we had together, be it to welcome my aunt and cousin back to the island when they would visit, or somewhere to go after visiting my great-grandma at Hale Makua, the nursing home where she resided. Tokyo Tei offers delicious authentic Japanese cuisine and is famous for their shrimp tempura and teriyaki steak!

8. Kobe's Steak House

Sushi from Kobe's Steak House

Adrienne Kalehuawehe

Kobe's Steak House has always been a place where we celebrated graduations, birthdays, farewells, and just a good night. It is the ultimate teppanyaki restaurant on Maui with chefs to entertain you with dancing shrimp, a few hat tricks, and a fiery onion ring volcano (literally, they light the onions on fire)! The chefs are very personable and funny, making your time with them an unforgettable experience! If you aren't feeling up for a large meal, no need to fear! They have a sit down sushi bar that serves some of the freshest sushi on the west side!

9. Drums of the Pacific Lu'au at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Kalua Pig

Adrienne Kalehuawehe

Nothing says authentic Hawaiian food like a luau! On the Ka'anapali coast, the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa host their nightly presentation Drums of the Pacific. Upon arrival, you are greeted with a puka shell or orchid lei and take a beautiful oceanside sunset picture. Be prepared to be taken on a journey throughout the islands of Polynesia as the performers invite you to taste exotic, native Hawaiian dishes served buffet style and authentic dances of old Hawaii, Fiji, and Tahiti (to name a few), as well as a phenomenal fire-knife dance finale!

10. Fleetwood's on Front Street

Rooftop Dinner at Fleetwood's

Adrienne Kalehuawehe

Located along the waterfront on Front Street in Lahaina, Fleetwood's offers both inside and rooftop dining and is a definite must-eat, especially if you're a Fleetwood Mac fan! If it wasn't obvious in the restaurant name, Michael John Kells Fleetwood, otherwise known as Mick Fleetwood, is the proud owner of the restaurant. Just downstairs of the restaurant is a small shop that sells restaurant tees and puts instruments and other items that band members have signed over the years on display! If that isn't enough to sell you on how great this restaurant is, the rooftop ambiance, perfect for lounging and enjoying a candlelit meal with the view of the ocean, and food definitely will!

11. Sansei Seafood Restaurant and Sushi Bar

Tempura Fried Ice Cream at Sansei's

Adrienne Kalehuawehe

Sansei's, although a tad pricey, is a place you don't want to skip on your visit to Maui! From their blended tropical drinks and sushi to their famous tempura fried ice cream, it will definitely leave your taste buds wanting more! One of my favorite dishes, next to their deep-fried, tempura battered, fried ice cream drizzled in chocolate, is their Miso Butterfish. This dish really makes you feel like you're on cloud nine with just how moist, tender, and flavorful every bite is! It is one dish that I highly, highly recommend.

12. Home Maid Bakery

Home Maid Bakery Malasadas

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm41ub7BMl1/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Since 1960, Home Maid Bakery has been serving the best tasting products at the best possible prices using only the highest quality of ingredients! It is known as the "Home of the Crispy Manju". They serve a variety of pastries and boxed lunches! A few of my favorite goods to get from Home Maid Bakery include their peanut butter mochi, ensaïmadas, roll cakes, and malasadas, which are made fresh daily!

13. Hau Lani Cafe

Ah-Boong at Hau Lani Cafe

Adrienne Kalehuawehe

On my latest visit home, I discovered this neat place called Hau Lani Cafe which satisfied my fascination with Taiyaki, a fish-shaped waffle with cream or Nutella filling. This was a delicacy that I had come across when I went to the Arizona Matsuri earlier this year where they were sold, literally in a little fishing net, piping hot and delicious! Hau Lani Cafe serves more than just Taiyaki! They serve dessert crepes, ah-boong (fish-shaped waffle cones filled with soft serve ice cream with the addition of multiple toppings of your choice), rolled ice cream, acai bowls, smoothies, and much more! The atmosphere at the cafe is very relaxing and they even offer a great photo op for those who love to Instagram their food!

14. Tasaka Guri-Guri

Tasaka Guri-Guri Sign

Adrienne Kalehuawehe

Nothing beats the hot, humid head like Tasaka Guri-Guri! Only found on Maui, Tasaka Guri-Guri has been running for over 90 years, selling a unique twist on ice cream and sherbet treats! The family-owned business sells scoops of Guri Guri in paper cups with a wooden spoon and only comes in two different flavors, strawberry and pineapple. For those who want more than two or three scoops, like me, they also offer pints of either flavor that you can take home with you!

15. Ululani's Shave Ice

Vanilla Vanilla serving of Ululani's Shave Ice

Adrienne Kalehuawehe

Ululani's Shave Ice serves some of the softest and best tasting shaved ice you will ever have, hands down. My sister and I first discovered Ululani's when we were walking along Front Street in Lahaina, browsing shops and local eateries. When we saw the sign for shaved ice, we decided, "Hey, why not get some shave ice since they're selling it?" We've been addicted ever since. Ululani's has many different flavors to choose from as well as unique toppings that you can add to your order such as mochi and toasted coconut! I'm a vanilla-vanilla plain Jane and got vanilla flavored ice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream at the bottom of my cup. However, I did get a bit adventurous and asked for a "snow-cap" on my order where the server adds cream all around the top of the ice!

There are so many eateries that offer a wide variety of mixed cuisines on Maui, but these are definitely some of my favorites! Hopefully they can become your favorites too!