Should You Put Fast-Food Work Experience On A Resume?
Career Development

10 Reasons You Should Work A Service Job With A Greasy Apron Before Grabbing That Diploma

McDonald's isn't the most glamorous of jobs, but it's one of the most important.

87
McDonald's workers

My first job when I turned 16 was at my local McDonald's. My first few months, for lack of a better word, were Hell. I cried after my first time by myself in the drive-thru and got physically sick in the backroom before work because I was so nervous about screwing up.

However, despite these experiences, I soon began to earn the respect of my managers and fellow coworkers. I became the one new colleagues came to for help and the one who knew all the tricks to the drink machine. Within my first year, I got promoted to Crew Trainer and made numerous friends at my job.

I still work seasonally at McDonald's and every time I walk back through the grill and smell the fresh grease and the sweet smell of hotcakes, I'm reminded of why I'm so thankful for these oftentimes disgusting, depressing, and degrading experiences.

1. It's humbling.

Nothing is more humbling than having a customer yell at you over something you can't control, or having to mop puke off a bathroom floor, or being told you aren't going fast enough when your limbs feel like they are about to fall off, or having an apple pie thrown at your head.

You'll realize that it doesn't matter who you are, your rank, or what your credentials are; you will end up doing something that you find disgusting or which is embarrassing or otherwise degrading. Working a service job will make you realize that no one is too good for any job and even a degree doesn't mean much when it comes to most service jobs. Many people I worked with at my various service jobs over the years had four-year degrees.

2. You learn cash management skills.

One of the things you'll learn from working a service job that you can actually put on your resume is cash management skills. At pretty much any service job, you'll probably eventually have to work as a cashier or with cash in some form. Assuming you do well at this, it will look good to future employers, because it will show you are responsible and trustworthy.

3. Learn how to double task.

Most service jobs require some form of double tasking, however, none more than fast food. In my experience, I've had to carry on multiple conversations at once or carry on a conversation while I check orders for accuracy and hand them out. This is overwhelming at times, but once you get used to it, it will be a skill that will help in other aspects of your life.

4. You learn to be a better person.

Working in service can help you empathize with customers and your coworkers. You will understand what it is like to be both an employee and a customer. You will hopefully understand people better and learn to anticipate people's needs. These things will begin to transfer into your normal life, whether it be in your own interactions with service workers.

5. You learn to be more gracious when you are a customer.

Going along with the previous reason, this is one of the biggest takeaways from service jobs. While you are expected to say thank you to every customer and keep a smile on your face regardless of the day you are having, customers often don't thank you or even speak to you. As a customer now, I always make sure to smile and say thank you and if there's an issue. I'm also understanding and grateful. Not only will you be a better customer, but you'll probably get better service if you learn how to treat service employees.

6. You'll make friends.

Like I mentioned at the beginning of the article, I made numerous friends during my time at McDonald's. Many people I went to school with, but they were either older or younger than me, or I just wasn't close to them. However, working together in a fast-paced environment causes you to learn things about each other that you wouldn't otherwise. Much like playing a sport, there comes a sense of camaraderie when working a service job together.

7. You'll get a chance to practice to your speaking skills.

While this may seem like a stretch, for pretty much every service job you have to be good at describing things and giving directions. If you aren't good at these things or aren't good talking to strangers anyway, this is a great opportunity to work on those skills. A service job forces you to think on your feet; whether it be to save a sale, describe a new product, or simply to tell a customer where the ice cube trays are.

8. You discover the absolute food combinations/deals.

One of the perks of working in fast food is the discount which allows you to experiment a little but also because you know the menu inside out and what can be done easily. Oftentimes, on lunch breaks and during late night shifts, some of the best food concoctions are created and shared among the employees. These are often better than the secret menu and often don't cost extra (or much extra). A couple of the best ones I've come across is adding oreo to the milkshakes and substituting the ranch in the snack wraps for sweet BBQ sauce.

9. It's experience.

If you don't have any previous work experience, this is an easy way to gain some before moving on. No matter what you are going into, if you can go well at a service job and be reliable, you will have an easy reference and a resume builder.

10. You learn to work in a team.

Working in a team, especially with people you like (well, most of the time), starts to become second nature. You have to work with all types of people (including those you can't stand). Learning how to work with people you don't like will ultimately be a helpful skill in life because it certainly won't be the last time. However, you also will have the people you work with often that you vibe with and can work seamlessly with, learning how to do both will prepare you for future careers, but also make that group project due in a couple weeks a little easier.