No Place Like Home for the Holidays?

No Place Like Home for the Holidays?

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

15
No Place Like Home for the Holidays?
American Christmas Tree Association

The holiday break is finally upon us! This means no more finals, no more homework, no more papers, and no more campus living for a whole month. For many students, this is something to be excited about-- returning to our families, pets and beds. Personally, I couldn’t wait to get home when my last final was out, to see my sisters and my parents and of course, my cat. For others, however, going home for the holidays is only a source of anxiety. Whether it’s because of political or religious differences with family members, the chaos of busy schedules, or simply just wanting to avoid the questions about school and relationship status that your Aunt Mary asks every holiday, going home for the holidays can be a stressful time. However, there are ways to combat this anxiety and make the most out of the holiday season.

1. Plan your answers.

If your family is anything like mine, you probably get a few of the same questions at every holiday. “How’s school going? Have you been seeing anyone? How are your grades? Do you really think you’ll make money with that major? What do you want to do after you graduate?,” just to name a few. Having answers ready for these expected questions will help prevent the panic attack on your part that usually accompanies them, and as a bonus, makes you look put together even if your answers are really “kind of rough, no,not great, probably not but I don’t care, and I have no idea.”

2. Avoid controversial topics.

Of course, this one is easier said than done. It's almost guaranteed that someone will bring up the election, or ask you how you feel about a certain controversial topic. If you know that you and that person don’t agree, in the spirit of the holidays it may be better just to subvert the conversation to happier topics. Having opinions and voicing them is very important, but there is a time and a place, so if Uncle Joe starts in on a rant about the election, it may be a good idea to ask him if he’s seen the new Star Wars movie or how his latest fishing trip went. Nobody wants their Christmas dinner to end in an intense argument.

3. Know when to take a break.

Holiday schedules can fill up fast, between going to parties, family events, shopping, and catching up with old friends. All of these things are important, of course, but sometimes you have to take a step back from the chaos. Maybe it’s only spending two hours instead of four at your cousin’s Christmas party, or doing some online shopping from the comfort of your couch instead of braving the crowds. Maybe one day, science will progress enough that we can be in two places at once, but until then, keep in mind that you are just one person, and sacrifices must be made in order to stay your holly jolly best!

For some,the holidays can be a very stressful time. However, if you follow this advice, perhaps you’ll be able to better enjoy the most wonderful time of the year!