Connecting The Dots In The Pixar Universe

Linking together everything from "The Good Dinosaur" to "WALL-E."

278
Vignette

Pixar has a chronic habit of weaving a web of Easter eggs and references throughout all of their movies. The Internet has done us all the courtesy of over-analyzing these Easter eggs and proposing a way that all of the Pixar movies fit tighter into a satisfying picture. We’re going to look at that picture today. Bear in mind that this list is pretty much all unconfirmed speculation, and also that there are minor spoilers throughout this list, but I’ll try to shy away from anything too major.

First off, let’s tackle "The Good Dinosaur." It features the meteor that was supposed to destroy the Dinosaurs missing, and them lasting for at least another couple million years. If the Pixar movies are in the same Universes, this movie would seem to imply that dinosaurs should still be around later in the timeline. But the movie seems to foreshadow the destruction of the dinosaurs still taking place. There’s a lot of storms in the movie, perhaps more than what would be expected. The Dinosaurs are definitely vulnerable to the storms, so it’s probable that they were destroyed by them. On the other hand, what humans there are in the film are the real survivors without spoiling the plot for those who haven’t seen it, Spot is able to survive one crisis after another, and he’s a five year old child. In this Universe, Humans evolved alongside Dinosaurs, and it made them much more apt survivors than we in the real world are.

That leads us into "Toy Story." Children have the ability to bring their toys to life, and that includes making it so their toys can affect the world around them, as if they had muscles. But for right now, we need to talk about Andy’s hat.

If Andy’s obsessed with Woody to the point of having Woody bed sheets, why would his hat be red? Why wouldn’t his mom have bought him a replica of Woody’s hat? Unless it was passed down from his mother.

We can see in the image above of Jessie's owner's room that she had the exact same hat-excpet that there was a ribbon on it. If you look at Andy's hat, you can even see an indentation from where the hat used to be. We even know from "Toy Story 2" that Woody and Co. are older toys, so Jessie came from a girl who has sense grown up. And that's not even the best part.

In "Toy Story 3," there’s a postcard on Andy’s bulletin board that is addressed to Carl and Ellie Fredricksen, the couple form the beginning of "Up."

What’s so fascinating about this postcard is that it is from a person named Emma Jean. Pete Doctor, who worked on the stories of "Up," "Monster's Inc," and "Inside Out" actually said in an interview that this Emma Jean is from a relationship Carl had before he married Ellie. Ellie was originally jealous of her, but they eventually became friends. Not only does this put an entirely new dimension on the opening to "Up," but it also begs the question of why exact ally Andy has this postcard in his room. It seems to be some sort of keepsake, but that would imply that Andy knew either the Fredricksens, or that he knew Emma Jean. In "Toy Story 2," it’s stated that Jessie’s former owner’s name is Emily, so if Andy’s mom was Jessie’s owner, her name would be Emily. It’s possible that Emma is short for Emily, so Andy’s mom is this “Emma Jean.” This is backed up by a tree. This tree.

In "Toy Story 2," we see Jessie being played with by Emily under this tree. It’s the same tree that Carl and Ellie race under in "Up." Now, we just made some pretty incredible leaps of logic, based upon a postcard that likely isn’t supposed to be anything more than an Easter egg, but the pieces all fit together without having to mash then together too badly. If Andy's mom, aka Emily, aka Emma Jean dated Carl and befriended the couple, it would explain the postcard.

"A Bug’s Life" happened around this film, because the tree that's pictured up there is in that movie as well. "A Bugs Life" showed that animals are sentient in this Universe, and "Finding Nemo" and "Ratatouille"expanded on the concept, but we’re going to gloss over them because they don’t have much of an impact on the Pixar Universe at large.

We know that toys are alive in this Universe. It can’t possibly all be inside of Andy’s head, because the toys are capable of influencing the world around him. Woody knocks Buzz out of the window, grabs onto his ankle when he’s pulled out by The Claw

, and scares Sid. Somehow, Andy and every other kid in his Universe is capable of bringing toys to life. We know that "Monster’s Inc." takes place in the same Universe, because Boo has a Jessie doll in her room and is possibly one of the kids at the sunnyside daycare in "Toy Story 3".

We know "Inside Out" takes place in this Universe because the Pizza Planet truck is in it. (The Pizza Planet truck is in every single Pixar movie in one form or another, in fact.) "Monster’s Inc" taught us that children in this Universe create energy from expressing both Fear and Joy. "Iniside Out" explained that this energy comes from five little emotions that are driving in everyone’s head. Children seem to be using this energy to unconsciously animate their toys.

So it’s not a stretch to say that, between artificial intelligence robots like the Omnidroids in the "Incredibles" and the emotional energy children are graced with, Pixar humans could bring their cars and plains to life. The Cars kind of took over the world, but that’s fine. The humans went into space, and eventually sent a robot to clean up after the Cars went extinct, and that robot’s name was Wall-e.

All right, we’ve got two more movies to explore. The theories on how "Monsters Inc." fit into the timeline are fairly diverse. Theorists usually state that humans evolved into monsters, and used the doors to go back in time to harvest screams from when there were humans. I find this far-fetched, if for no other reason than humans would have to evolve into dozens of different species of Monsters. I’m going with the concept of the Monsters living in an alternate dimension, but we’re going to assume that they can travel through space as well as time.

The final piece of the timeline claims that Boo eventually found her way back into the Monster World, but was unable to go back to her proper time. She ended up traveling to medieval Scotland as the witch in "Brave," who has a carving of Sulley as well as the Pizza Planet truck in her cave. She also disappears while walking through doors, which would link back to the Monster world.

And there we have it. Andy’s mom used to own Jessie, and possibly had an affair with Carl from "Up." Between artificial intelligence and the power of children’s emotions, they brought cars to life and fled the planet to go into space. A little girl nicknamed Boo ended up in the Monster world, where she time traveled back to be the witch from "Brave." It’s a bit of a stretch, but it does manage to fit several diverse and different Universes into a wonderful world where toys talk and Monsters tell jokes.