Pinktober: Saving Second Base

Pinktober: Saving Second Base

Who do you wear pink for?

14
Pinktober: Saving Second Base

I still remember it like it was only yesterday. My parents and pediatrician had finally heard me out and I couldn’t have been more excited. It was finally happening. I was finally going to have “normalcy” in my life and not only that, but I was going to look normal too! Since I had begun to develop as a young teenager, my breasts never developed "properly". One was always so much bigger than the other, and after having lost over 100+ pounds, it was even more noticeable. My self-esteem took a large hit because I thought this was how I would always look. That is until my pediatrician and parents decided go on board with my idea and sign me up for plastic surgery.

See, I had just turned 16 in May of 2003, and back then, I was so opposed to having any kind of plastic surgery. That was until I realized that it would be my ticket to gaining my self-esteem again. When my pediatrician said that I should see a plastic surgeon, I immediately had a million thoughts running ramped through my mind. But, I was also so excited that I couldn’t stand the idea of not going to a consultation. Growing up, my parents instilled in me that I was perfect just the way I was, but now that I had seen myself develop over the years, I knew something was wrong. Besides, I had worked way too hard to not finish this process and reach my goals.

My mother took me to a good handful of different surgeons, and yes, I remember all of their consultations and what they said to me. I was just 16 now, and overwhelmed by one in particular, who had told me that I would have to have multiple surgeries to become “perfect”. That was all well and good, but I never did want perfection and I knew even back then that it doesn’t exist, no matter how much surgery you have. Then one day my mother called Dr. D’s office and tried to make an appointment for me. The front office staff was very kind, but said that Dr. D doesn’t work on anyone under the age of 18 unless it is a very special case and he finds it medically necessary.

Sure enough, after my mother explained my situation to the front staff and they had spoken with the surgeon, he found it deemed appropriate to bring me in for a consultation and hear my story. He was one of the most wonderful men I had met yet and I just knew he was going to be the surgeon to do this. Dr. D listened to my story and heard my concerns, along with my mother's, and he had expressed that he also saw the rather large difference in my breast size. It didn’t stop there though. My pediatrician had suggested that I have liposuction minimally on the areas that needed a little extra “help”. Dr. D was completely on board with both procedures and it was scheduled the next day.

I had just started at a new high school, I lost over 100+ pounds, and my life was about to change for the better, forever! Yet, little did I know, my future would forever change in an interesting way, as this surgery would become a lifesaving and preventative procedure for me. I remember going into surgery, nervous, but excited and couldn’t wait to wake up with a new body. However, when I came out of surgery six hours later, I had no idea that I would be told what Dr. D told me. The surgery and the surgeon saved my life. Yes, it literally saved my life. I never thought those words would come out of my mouth, but they did.

Apparently, I had an extensive amount of scar tissue that had been in the breast that didn’t develop properly. Hence, the surgery took much longer than it was anticipated. The tissue was biopsied for further testing and to rule out other possibilities, but Dr. D said that with his experience and expertise, he knew right away it was dangerous tissue that would likely have developed into breast cancer by the time I was only 22 years old. I had never imagined that the C-word would be mentioned to me, about me, and especially at such a young age. He further expressed to my family and I that this surgery was a blessing in disguise and someone was looking out for me up above.

It took a while to heal, but it was so worth this life changing decision that my family and I would make together. The breast implants healed great and the reconstructive surgery, along with the liposuction, was a success. Fast forward 13 years later and yes, I still have the original set. But, what’s even more important is that I still thank this doctor to this day for working on me and saving my life. Furthermore, I thank God for blessing me with this life changing opportunity. Since my experience, I have become a Breast Cancer Awareness advocate that rocks pink all throughout October, which is notoriously known for being “Pinktober.”

See, breast cancer often goes undetected because many women don’t know that they can prevent this debilitating disease by simply doing monthly self-care breast exams. It’s not only very treatable, but it’s also easy to detect too. Also, it’s one of the most common cancer’s to come across a woman’s path in life. However, there is hope and it needs to be remembered that if you are ever diagnosed, or in a similar situation with pre-cancerous cells present like myself, it is not a death sentence and you have an opportunity to take your life back.

Since its October, it is important to me to raise awareness to this disease and help save the lives of others, although we don’t need a designated month to do so. Please don’t ever feel that you are alone, because you aren’t. Women aren’t the only to fall victim to this epidemic. In fact, men can also develop breast cancer and this shouldn’t be taken lightly, although it is rare. Many times, breast cancer is found through mammography, which is a form of imaging done on the breast. However, there are also other ways it can be found and should be considered.

While a lump is often the most common form of finding breast cancer, it is not the only way. There are other physical changes such as a nipple discharge, redness and swelling, change in size and shape of the breast, a lump, thickening of tissue, or knot under the arm, dimpling or wrinkling of a certain spot on your breast, the nipple becoming inverted, and new pain that does not go away are all symptoms that may be signs of breast cancer.

Even though I was only just 16, I did have early pre-cancerous cells that developed in my breast, as previously stated. Although it’s quite uncommon for a teenager or child to develop breast cancer, it’s not impossible. Had I not followed my intuition and had the support system that I do, I’m honestly not sure what my future would have looked like for me. Therefore, it is so important to me that I take the time to share my story with you. If I can save one life and prevent another case of breast cancer from happening, then my work here is done.

“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face.” – Eleanor Roosevelt