The Pill Made Me Crazy, So I Got An IUD

The Pill Made Me Crazy, So I Got An IUD

I was literally depressed. I would sit in my college dorm room and shut myself off from the world.

300
The Pill Made Me Crazy, So I Got An IUD
Instagram: Sugar Fan Club

Ok, Mom, Dad, Grandmom, Aunts, and Uncles, shield your eyes! As adults, we females do enjoy having sex, especially if we are in a relationship. Some may say that if you are having sex, you should have a baby out of it.

But let's be real—we are in 2018 for God's sake. We have sex, and we want to be safe during it. Believe me, condoms don't always do the trick.

As an independent female, I want to protect myself. I want to make sure that I am 100% protected because, nowadays, you never know what could happen.

Right?

As my mom said to me one day, "I was so against it before I had a daughter. But now, I think if there is a way to prevent having a grandchild too soon, I'm going to do it."

So, do it. Protect yourself.

So, why not pills?

I was taking oral pills for about two years when I finally decided that they weren't for me. I knew it was completely normal for me to be moody during my period. But man, I was moody all the time.

I'm not just talking about being a bitch. I was literally depressed. I would sit in my college dorm room and shut myself off from the world.

Frankly, I was sick of it, and I wasn't the only one. You can ask my family, my friends, and my boyfriend.

I believe that these "mood swings" made me sever my relationship with my mother, completely lose my relationship with at least eight friends, and almost lose a boyfriend.

My breaking point was when I was on the sidewalk screaming at the top of my lungs at my boyfriend telling him to break up with me.

Long story short, the pill made me a monster. I had to do something about it.

What did you do?

I spoke to my doctor ASAP. We sat down and went through all the alternatives. We decided that the IUD was the best option.

But my mother wasn't too sure about it—a foreign object in my uterus just sitting there? It literally sounds like an infection waiting to happen, or so we thought.

Although in the '60s the IUD did cause infertility in some females due to harsh infections, doctors and researchers have perfected it.

My OBGYN told me word for word that every female nurse and doctor in the office had one and the males have put ones in their wives. With that statement, I was sold. Plus, the IUD can lighten up your period and be implanted for about five to ten years until you'll have to get a new one.

10 years without an alarm on your phone to take a pill, and 10 years without the constant "uh-oh" moment when you forget your pill. 10 years of protection.

In the next month, I got it implanted and, ladies, I'm going to be honest.

"That shit 'hurted.'"

If you don't get that Vine reference, you can leave now. But seriously, the pain was enough to make my face go completely pale and nearly pass out.

I spent that whole day on the couch with a heating pad sleeping, and the next few days fighting back some minor cramping.

Was it worth it? Absolutely.

Although I have been put on Zoloft for some minor depression and anxiety issues, I haven't gone through the mood swings or the immense amount of depression since.

Yes, I get cramps every once in awhile but it's really nothing to run home about. Yes, I have gotten heavy periods the first few months, but it's really not THAT bad when you think about the long-term pros.

I turned to Instagram polls to find out how many females agree with me. The IUD is the GO-TO.

A whopping 82% of the voters take the pill whereas 18% of those who voted have the IUD implanted.

I had some females actually reach out to me via direct message to tell me about their IUD experience:

"I have an IUD and I like it so much more than having to worry about a pill. Not going to lie, it hurts when they put it in, and the first couple days suck, but after that, it's awesome. And you don't have to worry about anything for five years."

The conversation went on for a while. She finished off by saying, "100% think the IUD is the better choice."

She's not alone. Another woman stated:

"GET THE IUD. IT'S AMAZING. It's so much better than the pills!"

If you are seriously thinking about changing your form of birth control, look into the fabulous IUD. In the end, it's all about what is good and right for you. It's just like trying on jeans!

Good luck, and stay safe, ladies!