Why Does PETA Think It's OK To Damn People To Hell For Being A Part Of The "Meat Industry?"

We as farmers are honest, hard working, God fearing people.

347
Katey Freeman

Like many people across the country, I was very excited to watch the Super Bowl this year. I mainly watch it for the halftime show and the commercials, of course. Most of the commercials are rather lighthearted and funny; my favorite this year was Eli Manning dancing with Odell Beckham Jr because let's be honest, the Giants won the Super Bowl with that commercial and they didn't even play in it.

To land one of these commercials is rather hard. It costs around $5 million for a 30-second clip, and it's pretty competitive due to the Super Bowl being the most watched thing in America. Because of how competitive it is to get a spot to run a commercial, not every commercial makes it. However, some companies still regulate their commercials anyway.

One commercial that was not aired, thank goodness, was one by PETA.

This commercial depicted a man entering a church and going to the altar to beg for forgiveness because he was a part of the meat industry. The preacher encouraged him to confess all of his sins, and he then admitted to lying about the terms "free range" and "sustainable".

He also stated that "You can't get that many animals from farm to plate without doing shady shhhh... stuff." The preacher then proceeds to tell him to stop and the man assumes he is forgiven, so the preacher informs him that they have to draw a line somewhere and that he can't be forgiven for such sins. The commercial ends saying "Go Vegan".

Coming from a farming and faith-based background, there are so many things that are wrong with this commercial. For one, THESE TERMS AREN'T LIES! The commercial discussed chicken farming, and how they are kept in cages. I'm sorry, but I have been to chicken farms, and they have access to fields where they can roam.

Yes, there are fences. This is for the animals protection, as well as a way to keep the animals from roaming too far. To say that they are crammed in tiny cages their whole lives is inaccurate.This isn't just true for chickens, either; no livestock species is just put up in cages their whole lives.

In the commercial, the guy also says that he lied about the term "humanely killed". Farm animals are killed humanely! When they are butchered, it is almost instantaneous and the animals barely even realize anything.

The concept that we "couldn't get that many animals from farm to plate without doing shady shit" is also a fallacy. Farmers are under supervision. We have specific regulations that have to be followed; there is nothing shady about it. We are honest and fair in our trade.

To say that we are shady and don't do things the right way is so far from the truth.

Then, to end the video with the person being damned to hell is absolutely revolting. Think about who might have been watching that commercial! My guess is that there would have been a wide variety of people in the audience; some of them being children.

Who is PETA to give a child the impression that their mom or dad is damned to hell just because they are a farmer?

We as farmers are honest, hardworking, God-fearing people. We are only doing our part to ensure that the world will be able to eat in 2050, so people like those involved with PETA can make idiotic commercials that depict us in the worst possible way.

Also, to depict a preacher that way and to twist faith in that way is honestly sickening to me, but good news for you: God does forgive.

Next time, I would urge you to be more tactful and tasteful in getting your message across. Thank you and God bless.