10 Perks of Having Guy Best Friends

10 Perks of Having Guy Best Friends

They're like the brothers you never had.

41
10 Perks of Having Guy Best Friends
Robyn Borstelmann

If you're lucky enough to be a girl who's found a group of guys that she absolutely adores, you'll be able to relate to this list 100%. Your guy friends are very important people in your life. They are the brothers you never had. You find that you can completely be yourself around them. The only downside to constantly being surrounded by your guy pals is people always wondering which one you're dating.

But this single negative is easily outweighed by the endless list of perks:

1. First of all, they give you genuine compliments.

With guys, there’s no need for fake flattery. They’ll compliment you about the most unexpected things at the most unexpected time–perhaps just the way you did your hair or the color of your shirt. Men tend to be generally oblivious to most things women do to look more attractive, so when they do notice something and decide to point it out, it’s a pretty big deal.

2. There’s no judgment.

They won’t judge you when you feel like pigging out because, odds are, they do too. Eating three slices of pizza in front of them isn’t embarrassing. It’s very likely that rather than calling you a pig, they’ll call you weak as they reach for their fifth slice. They don’t know the difference between when your makeup is “on point” or not (in fact, they don’t know anything about makeup at all).

They don’t have a clue when it comes to fashion so they’ll never know whether you tried in the morning or not. It’s pretty awesome to have people who will still hang out with you even when you look like you just rolled out of bed.

3. There’s less drama.

Generally speaking, guys are less dramatic than girls. It’s just a fact. The most dramatic thing that’s ever happened between me and one of my guy friends probably had something to do with me kicking his butt in a game of FIFA. Needless to say, we got over it pretty fast (mostly because it was a one-time thing and I haven’t been able to beat him since).

4. They’re always down for a movie night.

…and they’re not really into chick flicks. So instead, they’ll probably pick out some obscure action movie that you’ve never heard of and that you’ll actually end up enjoying.. either that, or something like Sausage Party and in that case, at least you still got to hang out and eat popcorn.

5. They’re always down for some video games.

…which brings me back to FIFA. After a night out, weirdly enough, there’s nothing I want to do more than play FIFA. I’m not very good at it, but I’m slowly getting better. Whenever I feel like working on my skills, my guys are always willing to play, granted, they know it means an easy win for them.

6. They give great advice about guys.

And that’s because… well, they’re guys. They know how the mind of a guy works.

7. They’re your protective barrier.

No guy wants to approach a girl at a party who is surrounded by a bunch of dudes. So, if you want to go out and simply be with friends, you’re always safe. The negative side to this is when you do want to meet people. In that case, you have to find a nice way of telling your friends to leave you alone.

8. They give the best hugs.

…especially when you really need one.

9. They have a different perspective on the world.

You learn a lot from your guy friends, about guys, about yourself, about the world. It’s a refreshing new viewpoint to expose yourself to once in a while. My guy friends particularly are a very “go with the flow” type bunch. They don’t worry about things being planned way in advance. They don’t care about being a little late for something. They don’t freak out about staying up late to write an essay. They don’t worry about most things that are more than a few days away. By this, I mean that they don’t worry too much about the future. They live in the moment and they’ve taught me to start doing so as well. I’m "type A," so I tend to worry about everything… literally; but around my guy friends, I push a lot of my everyday stress towards the back of my mind. It’s incredibly refreshing.

10. They set the bar pretty high for any other guys in your life.

Because you love your guy friends so much, you have higher standards when it comes to boyfriends. It’s pretty hard for a guy outside of your friend group to live up to them. When you have a group of friends who are smart, funny, and caring, you expect all other guys to be so as well. Most importantly, they teach you that not all guys are bad.

So, if you guys end up reading this, shout out to you. You guys rock.