People Share What They Wish They Could Say To Their Ex's

"I laugh at you every time I scroll past your name on Instagram. Thanks for teaching me to laugh at my mistakes."

54
Tumblr

We have all been through breakups, heartbreaks and ends to relationships. Many times words are left unspoken and at least one side wishes they could say just one more thing; text their ex just one more time and tell them how they feel.

Last week Odyssey writer Jennifer VerMeulen wrote an article titled 64 People Reveal The Last Text They Sent To Their Ex which caused a lot of discussion between my friends and I. After awhile, we started sharing what we wished our last text to our ex was. I decided to reach out to a wide variety of people and ask if any of them would be interested in sharing what they wish they could say to their ex, and the response was explosive! Perhaps the most interesting component was when I, unknowingly to both parties, ask pairs of ex's to share what they wish they could say. (However, for the sake of their privacy I put them in random order)

Here's the heartbreaking, funny, sad, content and truthful responses I received...

"You promised everything, yet gave nothing. And in the end, it's fair to say that we simply weren't right for each other. The timing wasn't right, or you weren't ready, or whatever the case may be – I just wish I'd known that before letting you talk me out of an otherwise happy and healthy relationship, just for the chance to be with you. I tried everything to get you to open up to what you were before. Or at the very least, to what I thought you were, or what you could be. Nothing worked, and I was left hanging like a complete idiot. You taught me more in that six months than I ever could have learned through 12 years of formal education. You taught me exactly what to look out for when I find myself in another happy, healthy, and loving relationship. I will never again let another person throw themselves in between me and the person I love, even if they offer me the world. So thank you."

-Anonymous Male (19)

"I'm sorry I wasted a year of my life on someone who didn't even care to remember who my friends were"

-Taylor (21)

"I still love you."

-Hailey (19)

"I opened up my heart to you and I said those three words. the three words that we both were terrified of. I told you I loved you and you brushed it off. I opened my heart to you and I have never been more vulnerable and you gave me nothing. I hope you have a nice life. Your dick is small and so is your mind. f*ck you. Don't ever talk to me ever again."

-Anonymous Male (18)

"I'm sorry I cheated on you. You deserved better"

-Christina (27)

"You were my best friend since 7th grade. So why did you chose him? Was our 10-year friendship not enough? Was our 6-year relationship meaningless? Did I bore you? Was he sexier than me? Does he make you happy? I hope you're happy..."

-Tyler (24)

"I wish you existed lmao"

-Hailey (18)

"You were night and day. It was like being a part of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. We had a summertime love that I thought would last forever. But you flipped a switch when I went away, a switch triggered by your loss of control over me. Why did you say those things? Why did you question every single choice I made? You called me a slut, monitored my texts and controlled what I wore and who I talked to. Why did you think it was OK to leave me crying, mascara running, on my cold dorm room floor when all my friends were out having fun. Fun you wouldn't allow for me. But you said I made you act this way. I made you do and say these things. I may have taken your virginity but you took my dignity and self-worth...I may have loved you, but I love myself more."

-Anonymous female (19)

"I don't know why I fell for you those many years ago. I look back and say WTF, but I also smile. I just need to thank you. Thank you for putting me in those situations and making me vulnerable. Thank you for showing me what not to look for in a man. And thank you for showing me that I deserve so so so much better than you because now I'm happily in love with someone other than you. Thank you for showing me the way to my own happiness. I owe you for that"

-Emily (19)

"I would tell him that he didn't deserve to know me the way that he does and that I wish I could take back all the things that I told him."

-Brooke (19)

"I'm sorry."

-Anonymous Male (26)

"You hurt me a lot, but I still understand why you left and I honestly would do the same. I wish we could have had a chance though because we were good and I think you know that too."

-Pallavi (19)

"Thank you for seeing something in me. It felt good to have someone believe in me."

-AnonymousFemale (17)

"We told ourselves we'd give a relationship a try, we were best friends for three years, why shouldn't we? You basically were my best friend and I guess after three years of being "just friends" I thought it would be a good idea. I was wrong. I may not be perfect, or the most attractive guy, but I now know that it wasn't me who didn't deserve you, you didn't deserve me. I was too afraid to hurt you that I became another person when I was around you, and I was too scared to ever say anything about it. We should have ended it months before we did because we hated each other, but we kept the facade up anyways. You were my first kiss, and it was only because of Truth or Dare. How pathetic. Now you've moved on, but for some reason I haven't, I don't love you anymore, and I don't know if I ever did, but there is still something inside of me that wishes we would have ended things differently. But now I know better, and I'm glad to have left you behind."

-Zak (18)

"Damn boi you f*#ked me up. Like if you could see what keeps popping up on my Timehop from a year ago you'd see what a depressed piece of shit I was because of you. I know we never dated and like honestly I don't think I was truly ever really into you but I really did feel so badly for how I led you on. You had told people you loved me and I was focused elsewhere. And then you said you'd wait for me but I said I didn't want you. Then I got mad when you started dating someone else.. anyways I hope you don't totally hate me but I know you probably do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

-Anonymous Female (18)

"Would you give me a second chance if I asked?"

-Tay (20)

"You really hurt me. You never showed you cared about me. I questioned whether or not you liked me. I thought I wasn't worthy enough to be loved because your actions towards me said so. I mean, you wouldn't even hold my hand? What kind of "man" is that? Honestly, it all makes sense now, though. You gave me friends I never thought I would have, all because you broke up with me and left me sobbing in my dorm room so everyone could hear me. You taught me to never question my self-worth because of a guy because they aren't interested in you. You taught me I should never judge a book by its cover, ya know... Since you're gay and never told me or the other two girls after me. I sincerely hope you realize how I laugh at you every time I scroll past your name on Instagram. Thanks for teaching me to laugh at my mistakes."

-Shelli (20)

"Take a look at all the damage you caused and all the excuses you made up as you went along. I don't want to hear preaching about compatibility when we had everything in common besides our understanding of my best friend in my life. You're going to miss me and you're going to want me back in your life, I guarantee. I won't come back, not this time because I can't go back to someone who makes me regret trusting them. I'm meant for greater things & you're certainly not a friend."

-Alyssa (21)

"You said you wanted to try and rebuild a friendship, so why am I the only one trying?"

-Anonymous Female (26)

"I wish I never loved you."

-Anonymous Male (22)