To The People Who Think SFA is Just a Party School

It's so much more.

665
pictures-of-historic-nacogdoches.com

We've all heard the saying that SFA stand for "Sex Fun and Alcohol" or "School For Alcoholics." Many times I tell someone that I go to SFA, they bring that up, or they tell me I must be having so much fun, or they ask me if I go there because I'm a "party girl." I've heard people ask my parents if they're okay with me going to such a huge party school. Even more than that, I've heard parents that don't know I go to SFA say they'd never let their kids go to a school with so many parties. I have a news flash for everyone:

All school have parties.

Every college on the planet and every high school around has parties. They aren't unique to SFA and they aren't any bigger. I'm not saying that SFA doesn't have parties. We do. They're there. However, the truth is: we are more than just a party school. We are a family. We are known around the world in basketball for being a cinderella team in the March Madness tournaments the past few years. We have one of the best forestry programs in Texas. Our band is known nationally and was in the Macy's Day parade in New York City. We have sororities and fraternities that offer ample money to philanthropies. SFA has a place for every single person, and leaves no one out. There are classes in 59 majors within 29 area of study. There are nearly 13,000 students enrolled, and they all bring more to the table than a Friday night turn up. A person at SFA can learn how to rock climb, fence, act, dance, compute complicated equations, make friendships that last a lifetime, work hard, or fall in love. None of those things happen at a party.

SFA is a foundation for the rest of your life. It gives you a home away from home and offers a family to many. Among the pine trees of Nacogdoches is a chance for a diverse population of college students from almost everywhere to learn and grow and become more than they were before. SFA is more than a party school, it is a place of opportunity and growth for thousands of people over the years.

Thanks and Axe 'Em!