For the People Who Think the March was Only Anti-Trump
Politics

Check Your Feminism.

25

"If all of these women are out protesting who's going to make dinner"?

"The only clear message from this ridiculous march is there was no message. Just a gaggle of homely unkempt women yapping about their vaginas that haven't been used in years".

"Life is equally as hard for everyone no matter your race, gender, or disability. Quit introducing yourselves as your struggles. We're all equal. Your story shouldn't matter".

On Saturday, January 21st, 2017 I joined 9,999 other people in Ithaca, New York to show our support for the Women's March on Washington. I marched because our President and Vice President want to cut federal funding for Planned Parenthood. I marched because 79% of patients at Planned Parenthood have incomes that are at or below the federal poverty level. I marched because as a black woman I am 40% more likely to die of breast cancer than a white woman, and without Planned Parenthood thousands of other black women will not be able to get the affordable, regular breast exams that they need to help reduce those numbers. I march because I know that a disproportionate number of black women have to jump over several hurdles just to access quality, affordable health care which in turn leads to higher rates of both unintended pregnancy and abortion.

I marched because for every black woman who reports her rape, at least fifteen other black women are too afraid to report theirs. I marched because an astounding 40% of black women reported that they were coerced into some form of sexual act by the time they turned eighteen, I marched because there is a disproportionate amount of black women that are incarcerated, and in turn there is an increased chance that she will be a victim of sexual violence in the form of inmate rape, sexual abuse and groping during body searches. I marched because throughout most of U.S. history, the rape of black women was both institutionalized and wide spread. The legal system has a reputation of offering little to no protection and stereotypes regarding black women’s hyper sexuality were used to justify the limited social support.

I marched because the murder rate of people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and HIV-infected is at its highest. I marched because transgender women of color are at disproportionately high risk of being victims of hate violence and hate crimes. I marched because the violence against trans people of color is increasing, yet media coverage of these issues has yet to catch up.

I marched for Monica Loera of Austin, Texas murdered on January 22nd, 2016. She was 43 years old.

I marched for Jasmine Sierra of Bakersfield, California, murdered January 22nd, 2016. She was 52 years old.

I marched for Kayden Clarke of Mesa, Arizona, killed by police on February 4th, 2016. He was 24 years old.

I marched for Veronica Banks Cano of San Antonio, Texas found dead on February 19th, 2016. She was in her mid-30s.

I marched for Maya Young of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania murdered on February 21st, 2016. She was 25 years old.

I marched for Demarkis Stansberry of Baton Rouge, Louisiana murdered on February 27th, 2016. He was 30 years old.

I marched for Kedarie and Kandicee Johnson of Burlington, Iowa who were murdered on March 2nd, 2016. They were 16 years old.

I marched for Quartney Davia Dawsonn-Yochum of Los Angeles, California murdered on March 23rd, 2016. She was 32 years old.

I marched for Shante Isaac of Houston, Texas murdered on April 10th, 2016 . She was 34 years old.

I marched for Keyonna Blakeney of Rockville, Maryland murdered on April 16th, 2016. She was 22 years old.

I marched for Tyreece Walker of Wichita, Kansas murdered on May 1st, 2016. She was 32 years old.

I marched for Mercedes Successful of Haines City, Florida murdered on May 15th, 2016. She was 32 years old.

I marched for Amos Beede of Burlington, Vermont murdered on May 25th, 2016. He was 38 years old.

I marched for Goddess Diamond of New Orleans, Louisiana murdered on June 5th, 2016. She was 20 years old.

I marched for Deeniquia Dodds of Washington D.C. murdered on July 13th, 2016.

She was 22 years old. I marched for Dee Whigam of Shubuta, Mississippi murdered on July 23rd, 2016. She was 25 years old.

I marched for Skye Mockabee of Cleveland, Ohio murdered on July 30th, 2016. She was 26 years old.

I marched for Erykah Tijerina of El Paso, Texas murdered on August 8th, 2016. She was 36 years old.

I marched for Rae’Lynn Thomas of Columbus, Ohio murdered on August 10th, 2016. She was 28 years old.

I marched for T.T. Safore of Chicago, Illinois killed on September 11th, 2016. She was thought to be in her mid-twenties.

I marched for Crystal Edmonds of Baltimore, Maryland killed on September 16th, 2016. She was 32 years old.

I marched for Jazz Alford of North Carolina killed on September 23rd, 2016. She was 30 years old.

I marched for Brandi Bledsoe of Cleveland, Ohio killed on October 12th, 2016. She was 32 years old.

I marched for Noony Norwood of Richmond, Virginia killed on November 5th, 2016. She was 30 years old.

On Saturday, January 21st, 2017 I marched because I support the decriminalization of sex work. I marched for disabled women. I marched for women suffering from mental illness who are unable to obtain the resources they need to get help. I marched for women of color. I marched because LGBT are more likely to be targets of hate crime than any other minority group. I marched because Eric Garner couldn't breathe. I marched because Mike Brown had his hands up. I marched because Sandra Bland thought it was just going to be a routine traffic stop. I marched because Philando Castile was just trying to get his wallet. I marched because Freddie Gray was handcuffed in the back of that van. I marched because I refuse to stay silent until this truly is a land with liberty and justice for all.