Seeing Penn State's Fall Reopening Plan Feels Like I'm Losing A Piece Of My Heart

Penn State needs to start believing in their students instead of creating an environment similar to a prison.

14
Photo from News.psu.edu

Today State College released some information on what they expect us students to do while at college. While I was reading I found it very reasonable, given that the rules are the same given to me in Upstate New York. But I do find one to be a little harsh that we, as new students, can not go into other people's dorms within our halls. I feel as though we should be allowed if we all agree to wear a mask and try to stay as socially distanced as possible. With this small piece of freedom to do so, it would allow all of us new freshman to experience what every other year has experienced. Because we can't meet in dorms we are now even more likely to meet outside on the quad or at least on the grass in front of the building. If this does occur though I believe that the people within my dorm will wear masks and follow the restrictions. By following the restrictions it may allow us to have a normal spring.

Today I was exchanging messages with other people in McKean Hall and the new protocol and their opinions. I could tell there were mixed emotions on what they think and believe should be done. Some people agreed with me on that they can't stop us from being outside in small groups with masks or going downtown to walk around. However some people wanted the new regulations to completely change because they want that college experience, however we all need to remember that this year will not be normal at all.

After we ended the discussion on the dorms we switched to the topic of football. Football was brought up because today the schedule was released for games. It was also released that certain season ticket holders will be notified about being allowed to go to the games throughout the whole season.

This sparked a large conversation because some of my peers' parents are season ticket holders and they are hoping for that email to come soon. Personally I am praying that my grandfather who is a season ticket holder to receive an email because I know that I would be able to get a ticket or two from him to see some games. But then I think that this is selfish because I want to be able to go to the games with my peers and make some noise in the best football stadium ever. Even if we are socially distanced and can only sit with two of your friends, I am still willing to pay to see my peers play in the most amazing stadium ever. Football being taken away is like a piece of your heart getting taken because going to a Penn State football game is what makes your college experience great, but being stuck in your dorm not being allowed to have watch parties will be the death of me.

Having watch parties, tailgates, get-togethers, or getting to meet new people is going to be like being stuck in a prison. Which no one wants, not even the teachers. I believe that some of these restrictions should be lifted like being able to see people within your hall because it will help normalize this crazy year just a little bit. By doing this it will help us as students feel apart of campus and being a Penn Stater as a whole.