My Fantasy Team Is In Shambles Because of Patrick Mahomes

My Fantasy Team Is In Shambles And It's All Thanks To Patrick Mahomes

He's killed my fantasy season.

39

I started playing fantasy football later than most people. I was 16 and not a big fan of professional football. I remember trading away so many of my players and ended up doing terribly. After playing fantasy for the past three years I learned to strategize better and how to draft. This year I knew the Kansas City Chiefs would have a gunslinger type offense and that I needed one of those weapons.

I was set at wide receiver so I drafted Travis Kelce. Kelce is the number two tight end in the game after Gronk but unlike the Patriots the Chiefs have the same game plan each week and the players put up consistent numbers. While I also knew Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, and Sammy Watkins were on this team I knew first-year starter Patrick Mahomes would utilize Travis Kelce. Well, it is week 11 of the NFL season and Travis Kelce has only reached 20 points twice.

So, Patrick Mahomes, this is your fault.

I get it. Tyreek Hill is fast and Kareem Hunt is a great runner but I can't have all three of them on my team. The offense this year is completely different compared to Alex Smith running it last year. Mahomes came from Texas Tech where he was allowed to let the ball fly and that has become the offense in Kansas City. I know that not all players are going to have the same outcome each week but seven targets against the Cardinals on Sunday? Tyreek Hill does not need all the targets and touchdowns.

You can throw the ball to him too but remember the rest of the offense. Kareem Hunt only got 16 carries and two receptions what happened to spread the wealth? I know there is nobody to blame for this (Andy Reid) but there are so many viable options on this team that I think it is important to utilize the tight end more. I get it there are a lot of great playmakers but how many teams have Travis Kelce?

Look I am not criticizing Patrick Mahomes. He is probably the best quarterback from his draft class and holds the record for most touchdowns in a season for the Chiefs franchise. The Chiefs have had to suffer from different quarterbacks and Patrick Mahomes provides hope. I mean before Alex Smith and Patrick Mahomes they started Matt Cassel, Kyle Orton, and Brodie Croyle.

While I am a huge Alabama fan Brodie Croyle was not a good NFL quarterback. This team has done a fantastic job and surprisingly has not gone full Reid yet. Mahomes is exceeding expectations and while it might be easy to make fun of him for his interesting voice it is also important to know that he is playing like a version of Tom Brady and Drew Brees (Not Cam Newton, nobody should want to be compared to Cam Newton).

While I may be doing terribly in fantasy this year I am glad to see the Chiefs doing well. It does kind of suck that I lost in fantasy to someone who drafted Matthew Stafford in the first round but that is not the fault of Travis Kelce or anyone on the Chiefs. Fantasy football is a way to keep friendships and a chance for people to enjoy the game to a higher level.