How To Make Money as a Crafter While You Sleep
News

Ready to live the life of art and put aside the frustration of business routine?

13
personal photo of Jav Sid

You know what they say: time is money. And if that's the case, then crafting can be a pretty lucrative endeavor. Not only do you get to spend your time making beautiful things, but you can also make money while you sleep! Here are just a few ideas for how you could turn your crafting skills into cold hard cash.

The living proof of this idea is Jav Sid — a talented crafter, self-motivated businesswoman, and a real inspiration for female entrepreneurs fighting for their right to personal and professional fulfillment despite their cultural origin. She has built a company that has shown 55000% sales growth in just 20 months, not even working on it full-time.

Today, Cut N Make Crafts is a thriving business that helps crafters worldwide unleash their creativity and bring a little magic and a considerable fortune into their homes and lives. And Jav readily shares her knowledge with folks ready to live the life of art and put aside the frustration of business routine.

Be ready for a bendy path!

Jav Sid office

personal photo

Jav Sid wasn’t born with a silver spoon in her mouth but she always wanted to be an entrepreneur.

When she started her online business back in 2009, with no initial major investment or help from others, it was only with relentless trial and error that she eventually found success. Jav tried several business models: blogging, selling sewing patterns, crafting bags from cork fabric, and even nerve breaking day job — before she came up with the idea to design and sell SVG cut files.

Today, her Cricut blog and SVG store are earning 6-digits a year, and she is finally living the life of her dreams. Ready to learn some tips on how to cut files like a pro? Jav is here to show you the ropes, from creating designs to marketing them.

Put in some busy work!

If you have a creative hobby and want to turn it into a profitable business, start by researching. Look for online resources on becoming a successful Etsy seller, or check out some blog posts from experienced makers who have successfully carved out their niche.

Once you have gathered your research, brainstorm different ways to monetize your skills and talents. You might start by selling DIY kits or patterns like someone who has spent years perfecting their craft; maybe designing graphics would be more up your alley. In that case, you could start an SVG cut file store and sell digital files to other crafters who want to use them with their cutting machines.

Remember that while a digital business model is flexible and can give you some freedom, at the same time, it also requires close attention to detail, meticulous planning, and consistent effort.

Insider tips for SVG cut files sellers

Including the benefits of using designs by fellow crafters, copyright laws, and the optimal ways to use social media to grow your business:

• First and foremost, you must conduct market research to determine what designs are currently in demand. It will help ensure that your designs are well-suited for the market and that you don't end up creating products that no one wants to buy. You need to grope your own goose that lays golden eggs.
  • Another vital consideration is copyright laws, which can be complex. As a crafter selling SVG cut files, it is especially critical to understand these laws and to ensure that you are using designs that are legally available for commercial use.
  • You may be the most talented designer ever, but when it comes to sales, you need to know how to market and package your designs to stand out from the crowd. This often means being able to connect with potential customers on an emotional level and inspiring them to make a purchase. Keep art and selling as separate aspects of your business model since each process requires different types of activities.
  • Develop an abundance mindset and focus on your unique talents when it comes to competitors. Concentrate on your own vision and goals rather than comparing yourself to them. A scarcity approach may prevent you from nurturing meaningful relationships with others and getting a powerful source of growth and success for your business.
  • Look for guidance — whether through online tutorials or professional coaching services — that can help you refine your skills and stay on track with the steps needed to grow your business. With the proper roadmap, you can use social media to promote your designs, build a loyal customer base, and generate meaningful income from your crafty creations.

Watch out for risks!

Like with any other business, there are things you should and shouldn't do. Unfortunately, many crafters jump to selling physical items without taking inventory of their time and resources. That false start can lead to wasted time, effort and money. Working hard without any monetary compensation is a recipe for disaster.

It is essential to take stock of your skills, resources, and time commitments before you begin selling. That will allow you to plan out a realistic and sustainable business strategy and help you avoid overwhelm.

A rigid focus on selling handmade physical items is also limiting, as digital options quickly become the new norm for many crafters. Selling SVG designs is a great way to expand your reach and make money dealing with digital products that others can easily download and use.

Jav Sid's students quickly learn that digital options are the way to go if they want to make money off their craft and turn their business into a real success. Instead of selling one-offs, handmade entrepreneurs should focus on products they can create once and sell multiple times without being involved in every sale. Then, with the right tools and support, you can turn your passion into profit and achieve success doing what you love.

So go forth and get crafting – just remember to keep your eye on digital opportunities along the way!