The Best Parts Of Spending Your Summers In A Small Town

Small towns are picturesque...especially in the summer.

19
August Meyers

Growing up in a small(ish) town in South Central, PA, my memories of summer are those of summer camps, lazy days by the pool and day trips to the lake. Now that I'm older, not much has changed. Summer camp still occurs, but this time I take the role of spectator as I drop off and pick up my younger siblings...no longer a participant as a camper or counselor. Lazy days by the poolside turn into lazy evenings and weekends because let's face it, summer jobs are an unfortunate reality. Day trips to the lake still happen but are sometimes switched with day trips to the beach.

In my area, school has officially let out and with that, summer has officially began. For my family, the next ten or so weeks are going to be filled with the activities mentioned above and more.

I've experienced both small town and large city summers and I do have to say that there is something to be had for small town summers. If you're interested in a never-ending, hustle-bustle kind of summer with plenty of activities to do, then a city summer is for you however, if summers mean relaxing and taking it easy, there is nothing better than summer in a small town. Plus, in a small town, you are almost guaranteed to have direct access to someone's pool almost everyday, no matter who you are.

In my area, if you are willing to travel a few hours in any direction, you can have the best of both worlds. New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Washington D.C. are all within four hours or less.

If you're looking to cool down, the eastern shore is within a few hours driving distance. The beach isn't for you? Not a problem. Pennsylvania also boast several lakes and rivers that are perfect for swimming and boating. Pools are also plentiful and community pools are almost always open.

When you live in a small town, whether you like it or not, you are bound to see a familiar face no matter where you go. This is especially true in the summer when more people are out and about. In a city, it can be nice to go days without running into someone you know, however, sometimes it can be comforting to see a familiar face. In a small town, you are almost guaranteed to see a familiar face no matter where you go.

Summers in small towns are perfect for those who like to get out and spend time outside. At least where I live, there are plenty of parks and places to hike if you want to get out of your house. The best part is that it doesn't take too long to get to those places.

If you live in a small town, what are some of your favorite things to do?