How To Rediscover Your Childhood Dreams: I Painted Every Day For A Week

Here are the lessons learned and the pieces produced...

516
Riley Farrell

When I was a wee-little tot, every time some nosy adult probed the usual question, “what do you want to be when you grow up?", I would confidently reply that I was going to be a “great artist."

For you the good ol' dream could have involved singing, acting, cooking, writing, fighting fires, healing people, or directing a film. The point is that we all had aspirations of which we have probably dropped due to fear or declining interest.

But back then, all I would do is draw – and five-year-old me had big plans. Because I didn't think to imagine myself in the “starving artist" troupe, I was planning to be a rare painting legend who is appreciated in her day like my dude Pablo Picasso. (So, I would not have to do the usual routine of dying before people even like my sketches).

I saw myself in my thirties, with long hair effortlessly held back with a paintbrush, living comfortably alone in a small but quaint apartment in a conventionally exciting city (like New York, Paris, or Vienna). I would be swaying around, drawing, and painting copious amounts of canvases scattered around my abode.

Basically, I was engaging in a fever-dream visualization of my future self. I can still see it now. It was a creative dream that was foundational to my being.

All that being said, I am currently pursuing my more analytical and logical dreams of which my artsy future self would likely not approve. Here is the damning evidence of my present unimaginative lifestyle:

1. I go to a state university in Texas; (College Station is ironically endearing, but it is not quite Europe).

2. By and large, Texas A&M is a big, crusty, STEM-heavy school, (I mean, gig 'em though).

3. The major and minors that I am studying lend themselves to a future of law school or journalism practice (and there is not too much self-expression in those careers).

Essentially, I somehow ended up living a life that is arguably a culmination of the most uncreative choices a person can make. Though that statement sounds morbidly pessimistic, I also somehow also ended up living a life that makes me happy, in which I chase my other lovely dreams.

Still, I had this inexplicable desire to continue painting, so as to rediscover what made me so passionate about it as a kid. My dream-bug was back with a vengeance, and I was willing to scratch that itch. I wholeheartedly recommend that you do a similar thing with your childhood hobby!

I set out to paint a new piece every single night for a week. Here are the lessons learned and the paintings produced:

1. Monday - The First Day: Abstract Colors (AKA Easing Back Into It)

This one took no time at all and helped dust the cobwebs out of my mind. I recalled the color wheel with its complementary shades, the fusion of warm and cool tones, and texture contrast in paint applications.

If you're trying to rediscover your childhood passions in a week, start with something low stress. As an example, if you wanted to be a chef as a kid and you're baking this week, start with cookies! If you were an aspiring author and you're writing, start with a haiku.

2. Tuesday - The Second Day: Sorority Spray Paint Typography (AKA Future-Little Gift)

The before (with tape) and after. (Not-so) newsflash, I am in a sorority. Thus, I am fixing to be all kinds of extra for my future little. I figured that I may as well make this week productive and start painting Theta art for my little. For this one, I wanted to play with negative space and practice my artistic bane: typography. Shout-out to the adorable Greek girls on Pinterest who came up with the creative Theta placement in “LOVE".

If you want to do the week-long kid dream challenge – make at least some of it productive to your current lifestyle. It will motivate the process! For instance, if you wanted to be a singer or musician, join your local church choir or a glee club/band at school.

3. Wednesday - The Third Day: Galaxy Doodles (AKA Gaze Up, Glance Within) (AKA I Watched A Documentary On Space Exploration While Doing This)

I just had a ball with this painting and it allowed me to do a busy but playful piece.

Pro tip: if you want to channel your youthful self with wide eyes and big dreams, don't take yourself too seriously. That is not what this entire thing is about. Besides, would a kindergarten version of you care about anything but pure merriment?

4. Thursday - The Fourth Day: Aggie Theta Threw Up On This One (AKA Future-Little Gift Part Two

Another one for my little, (P.S. I am already ecstatic to meet you). This one is simple but effective. I took cues from Kappa Alpha Theta's gold and A&M's maroon/white to create a piece that oozes the animal that is Southern “srat". Again, partial credit to Pinterest for this canvas idea.

5. Friday - The Fifth Day: Refurbish A Pollock Painting (AKA One Fun Mess)

I used old house paint samples to splatter an even older version of a Jackson Pollock painting that I did in high school. Pollock was infamously eccentric and his whole “thing" was about the free-flowing process of painting, rather than the final form of the painting. So, I put on music, closed my eyes, and flung paint at a huge canvas without really caring about the finished product.

This above the others really brought me back to my childhood. If you have some passion as a kid, try doing it now without any restraint or care! The nostalgia will bring you back.

6. Saturday - The Sixth Day: Forcing My Family To Do A Bob Ross With Me (AKA True Bonding)

From left to right: my painting, my dad's painting, and my mom's painting. Similar to my splatter piece, this day was more about the (supposedly 24-minute Netflix) journey than the final piece. This journey included lots of paint, my two superb parents, and one happy little Bob Ross.

The following is an unsolicited piece of advice: if you have a hobby, especially a precious childhood one, don't isolate yourself in it. Bring loved ones into the fold. This is a way to make new memories with others all while doing some of your favorite activities. Specifically, if perhaps you wanted to be a doctor, get CPR-certified with your squad.

7. Sunday – The Seventh Day: Acrylic Portrait (AKA My Favorite)

Let me set the scene. It was dark out, close to midnight, and I knew I had to finish the challenge with one more painting. Being tired from work, I had misplaced the motivation to finish strong. But once I picked up my palette and stared down a blank piece of paper, I fell back into a groove like I was riding a bike. It felt like electricity was running through my fingers when I painted my favorite subjects, people. I am pleased with the result (mostly because it is excessively difficult to make a skin tone out of a rainbow paint-set).

Try combining your favorites with this week-long challenge! Let's say you desperately wanted to be a cook as a youngster and your current favorite food is pizza. Try combining that passion with that preference and make yourself one superior pizza-pie. Or, if you adored music as a kid, learn how to play your favorite song on the piano.

All in all, I reignited the childlike love that had initially set my spirit ablaze. Even if it was just for a week, I followed my spark, and I don't plan on stopping after seven days.