Pageants Create Successful Women

Pageants Create Successful Women

Contestants prepare for more than what you see on stage

335
Pageants Create Successful Women
ABC

When one mentions the word “pageant,” it is not uncommon to picture women in bikinis who also glide across a stage in beautiful gowns, whose one wish is for world peace and coexistence. Pageants have existed since before women’s suffrage and were known as the typical “beauty pageants” that focused on aesthetics and judged against perfection that has never existed. However, the phrase “beauty queen” has worn out its welcome. Especially in recent years, the preparation a pageant contestant endures is unprecedented in terms of academics, professionalism and confidence. To be a top-notch competitor, a contestant must exhibit academic and professional rigor. Although the stigma that pageants are old-fashioned and exploitive has always been attached to these competitions, pageants have grown to provide scholarship opportunities, prepare women for the competitive workforce, emphasize the importance of community service and encourage self-discovery.

As educated women, pageant contestants compete for academic scholarships to further their education. For instance, the Miss America Organization has awarded millions of dollars in scholarships since the 1920's and is the nation’s leading advocate for women’s education and the largest provider of scholarship assistance to young women in the United States. These academic scholarships allow an alternative to student loans or government assistance women would otherwise need in order to receive higher education and remain in debt for years to come, adding unnecessary stress once entering the workforce after graduation. Furthermore, competing for scholarships emphasizes the importance of education for women. No matter which career a woman chooses, the scholarships awarded thanks to competing in pageants are a reminder that every woman is capable of performing her best in any career.

Among providing scholarship opportunities, pageants also prepare women for the competitive workforce. A pageant is a structured competition not only against others, but a competition against oneself to perform at her personal best. Today, more women are in the professional workforce than ever before. Pageants are an outlet to get women ready for competition in terms of their careers. For example, one of the first impressions the judges have of each contestant is a professional resume that showcases community involvement, academic achievement, and professional history. It is imperative that the resume stands out so the judges look forward to speaking with you. This is the most important aspect of being selected for an interview among potential employers, so resume building is a skill that a pageant contestant has mastered by the time she seeks employment. Once the judges have reviewed the resume, each contestant is interviewed in a way that is similar to an interview conducted by employers. From current events to reasons why a contestant chooses to compete in pageants, nothing is off limits. Therefore, being able to think quickly and command attention while speaking is yet another skill mastered by a pageant contestant.

In addition to illustrating professionalism in the personal interview portion of the competition, once a contestant is crowned, rules and regulations are in place, much like any other job. The titleholder is expected to dress appropriately and act accordingly as she becomes an ambassador with a purpose to network and promote. While the titleholder promotes the pageant system, she also promotes her personal platform or a charitable organization. This encourages other women and the young generation to get involved in their communities. Another benefit to working with a platform is developing skills in fundraising and innovation strategies, which numerous employers undoubtedly look for in a new hire to bring attention to their businesses as well.

Most importantly, pageants have become an outlet for self-discovery in women. Finding comfort in public speaking and expressing personal opinions becomes second nature; these are crucial factors in remaining confident through all aspects of life. According to USA Today, “pageants are moving away from aesthetics and forcing contestants to be well-spoken, knowledgeable, and graceful young ladies who are passionate about a purpose.” Therefore, passion drives women to self-discovery and aids in finding who they want to be for the rest of their lives. Also, time management is a significant trait of a successful professional. Between networking at appearances, staying involved with community service and higher education, women can realize what their true priorities are in order to achieve their goals.

Simply put, pageants have changed because women have changed. Women are no longer expected to fit a stereotype as being submissive. Today, pageants are a respectable outlet that provide scholarship opportunities for higher education for women. The female workforce has shattered the glass ceiling that inhibits women to be equal to men in the career field. Finding oneself and discovering who she is and who she wants to be is a huge advantage to competing in pageants. As a longtime competitor, I will continue to learn about myself, be successful in my career and enjoy the scholarships presented to me to further my knowledge. It is time to fight the stigma against what used to be known as the “beauty pageant” and lift up the hard-working, intelligent women who are passionate about female success.