Overcoming Injury: My Story

Overcoming Injury: My Story

Find Your Light and Love The Good Doctors in Your Life

24
Overcoming Injury: My Story
Dysplasia in Figure Skating

When I was 15 I was diagnosed with dual hip dysplasia. This means that my hip joints aren't formed right, which leads to a host of other problems and pain. I was told to expect surgeries and activity restrictions. Having been a competitive figure skater for most of my life, this was devastating news. I fought through the pain for as long as I could, but I was off and on with my sport and it wasn't the same. Less than a year after my diagnosis, I was given a choice: continue in my path and end up unable to walk or move very well in 10 years, or quit the ice and possibly have a chance at a full life.

I remember crying to my physical therapist who told me that no matter what choice I made, he and his staff would work to support me. Barely 16 years old and I was facing an ultimatum: doom myself for the sport I loved, or appreciate the time I had with it and move on, to save my body?

I chose the latter, and though I don't regret it, it still hurts to think about what I lost. Since that time I have had several cortisone shots, 2 different braces, 15 or more x-rays and MRIs, and finally, an arthroscopic surgery. It was a hard decision to go through with the surgery, as the risk was high. I could lose total or partial feeling in my leg. I could even, though it's very rare, be paralyzed from the hip down.

I remember taking in a big breath and looking at both my surgeons in turn, and finally I said "do it."

In May of 2015 I woke up from a 5 hour surgery and almost immediately threw up. The pain was intense, but as the morphine wore off and I realized I could, for the most part, feel my leg, I was very relieved. My surgeon came in to my room eventually and with bated breath I waited to hear how the surgery had gone. He said that they had found a lot more damage than they had anticipated, but the surgery went very well. He looked me in the eyes and said "There's a light at the end of the tunnel for you."

This coming May I will be fully healed. The few months following the surgery were rough. I was in a lot of pain and on crutches for a long time. I had to constantly forgo activities because I had such a long recovery time. The surgery takes 2 years to fully recover from, as I have a plastic joint support that is slowly becoming a part of me.

I am now 20 years old. I workout, stretch, do yoga and run, and almost all of the feeling has returned in my hip and down my thigh. My doctors are putting the final touches on my health but, for the most part, I can do all of the things a normal person does, and because I was an athlete, probably even more.

This has been a rocky 5 years of my life, but my surgeon was right. Right now I'm walking into the light. There's no more tunnel, there's no more braces, tests or surgeries. There's just two little scars on my right hip and a life filled with endless possibilities.

I am here right now because of 2 reasons. The first is that I had an incredible medical team working behind me. My surgeon worked tirelessly to make sure that I could live the full, active life that I insisted upon having. Instead of telling me it couldn't be done, he worked with me and his team to absolutely everything he could to return me to a healthy, active and happy person and I am forever indebted to him.

The second reason is that I refused to give up. I heard "no" and screamed "yes!" I heard "you can't" and said "watch me!" I insisted upon living a full life and I exhausted every possible solution to find what would be the best. I refused to live a half life, and I refused to be held back.

If you or anyone you know is struggling with chronic injury, know that it gets better, and you will find your light. I had a very dark 5 years and I didn't know what would happen to me. However, I found a medical team I love and I refused to take "no" for an answer. No matter what you're facing, there's always a sunrise tomorrow. There will be light at the end of you tunnel, you just have to keep going, and fight for your own "light at the end of the tunnel." It's there, waiting for you.