When You're An Overachiever In High School... And Then You Go To College.

The transition from high school to college can be frustrating if you feel like you're under-performing compared to your high school self.

327
Student Loan

In many, many ways, college is better than high school, but that isn’t to say it doesn’t require some adjustment. The transition can be particularly challenging for students who were very successful in high school but who find themselves comparatively less successful in college. If you find yourself in this situation, here’s a few things to keep in mind.

It’s okay not to have a 4.0.

Maintaining a 4.0 GPA is substantially easier in high school than it is in college. Unfortunately, you might even run across professors who say they “don’t give As.” Don’t beat yourself up over it. It’s easy to get discouraged as soon as you see your GPA drop a little bit, but remember that as long as you’re applying yourself and gaining new knowledge, you’re good.

Get involved in extracurricular activities… but not too many.

Finding a balance of extracurriculars can really help you to find your footing in college. Don’t overload yourself to the point that you have no free time and no time to finish your homework, but having one or two groups/clubs that you’re involved in helps you to make friends and makes you feel accomplished. Most clubs and groups are flexible, so if you do get overzealous and join too many, you can withdraw. Plus, events and activities relating to your extracurriculars are usually fun things you’ll look forward to!

Talk to your professors and your TAs.

If you don’t feel comfortable going to their office hours, you can email them. Bonding with your TAs and professors will help encourage you not to skip class, to put effort into your assignments, boost your confidence, and, of course, help you understand the class material. You’ll feel more comfortable asking for an extension if you ever need one, and they’ll be more likely to grant it. A lot of professors are genuinely invested in their students and chances are you’ll find some friends and mentors along the way.

Make time for friends.

If you feel like you’re underperforming in college, it’s easy to get wrapped up in academics and forget your social life. Make sure to give yourself time to hang out with friends and spend time doing something that isn’t studying.

Write things down and schedule them out.

Sometimes your professors will remind you about assignments and sometimes they won’t. It’s a very different atmosphere from high school and it can feel overwhelming. When you know the dates your assignments are due (usually in your syllabi), put them into a planner so that you can see you have a finite amount of work and you know exactly when it’s all due. Forgetting an assignment or having to haphazardly finish it at the last second is an easy way to get rattled and lose your confidence.

Practice self-care.

You’re going to be a lot busier than you’ve probably been in the past, but try to eat healthy and exercise when you can. You’ll feel better, be able to think more clearly, and exercising is a nice way to break up hours-long study sessions at a desk. (But if you want a pizza at 2am, go ahead and do that too. Welcome to adulthood!)

Ask for help when you need it.

If you’re struggling with class material, ask your professor or your TA. If you’re struggling with the transition from high school to college, ask whomever you’re comfortable confiding in. Don’t be afraid to utilize college mental health resources – this is why they’re there. If you try to struggle through issues on your own, you’ll end up looking back and wishing that you’d just reached out to someone. Your college accepted you because they want you to succeed and know that you will represent them well, and there are people to help you every step of the way with whatever you may need. There’s a counselor, faculty member, or student group who can meet your needs. Getting the assistance you need will make your entire college experience much more rewarding and enjoyable.

Congratulate yourself on having done well in high school, but accept that college is a wholly different experience. Having a 3.0 GPA doesn’t mean you’re going to do less good in the world than someone with a 4.0. Find a balance between pursuing your passion, meeting new people, and experiencing new things. Most importantly, cut yourself some slack once in a while.