18 Things I Learned While In College

18 Things I Learned While In College

Live. Learn. Repeat.

20
18 Things I Learned While In College
google

College is a lot more than going to class, studying, and taking tests. It encompasses a wide array of challenges and obstacles as well as unforgettable memories. Everyone says college consists of the best years of our lives, but I do not think stressing about tests, remembering to eat, and learning how to navigate through college are going to be my best years. No one talks about the challenges and the lessons learned even though there are many. As I recollect on my past two years in college, it is filled with lessons no one shares but we all experience alone. Here are 18 things I have learned in my first two years of college.

1. Get to know your professors!

At first it may seem intimidating to talk to your professors or ask questions, but DO IT! A majority of professors truly care about their students and want them to do well. Know their office hours and go see them often whether you know everything or nothing at all. They are great mentors and support systems. They may even change that 89.0 to a 90. Plus, the more they know you the better your recommendation letters will turn out

2. Dress to impress!

Although t-shirts and Nike shorts sound comfy especially after waking up late, DO NOT DO IT! Believe it or not professors remember what you wear. They will form their own impressions about you in their head. Trust me it has happened!

3. Free Event! Free Food! I’m there!

A majority of universities have free events happening daily on campus which usually means free stuff. Do not be embarrassed to go! Everyone enjoys free things especially college students.

4. Know what you’re paying for!

Several amenities are included in our student bills which often go unnoticed. The university rec center, health care clinic, and computer print costs are often included in the grand total of your tuition. Ask what you are paying for. Take advantage of the things you are paying for.

5. Your family will always be there!

Regardless if you forget to call them or text them back they will always love you. They will support, motivate, and encourage you when days get hard. They will catch you when you fall and be there to pick you back up. Do not forget about them! They are your biggest advocators and support.

6. Less friends is in fact better!

Having friends in college is rather different than high school. In high school we are so caught up in having a lot of friends and wanting to be liked by everyone. College is the complete opposite. You learn not to care about other people's opinions and realize the benefits of keeping your friendship circle small. Instead of having fifty friends, five close ones are better.

7. Not everyone wants to help you!

I quickly realized that not all friends/acquaintances want what is best for you. Everyone cares about themselves and their accomplishments. They will quickly put themselves above you, and that is okay. Choose your friends wisely especially those that will support your dreams and ambitions.

8. Disappointment is okay!

Disappointment is inevitable! As much as you try to avoid it, it is going to happen. It is not the end of the world! DO NOT let it be. Pick yourself up and try harder. If people disappoint you, forgive easily. Control the things you can, and try not to worry about the things out of your control.

9. Learn from your mistakes!

Learn. Learn. Learn. College is the time to learn about yourself in a holistic aspect, and you will make mistakes. You will realize it is not a good idea to go out the weekend before that test or talk to that boy in your class. Do not dwell on the mistakes or let them define you. The important thing is to learn from the many mistakes you make. That is the only way you can get better.

10. Put yourself first!

It's okay to be selfish. Put your education and studies before everything. Take care of yourself. Take every opportunity that is thrown at you, and do not base your decisions off anyone. This is your time right now to be you and do you. Take advantage of this time to learn more, try more, and be more!

11. It will take sometime to get settled in!

It is difficult to move to a new city without your friends and family close-by. It will take time to adjust to living by yourself and the many things it entails. Do not worry you will get through it and begin to call it your new home shortly.

12. Cramming doesn’t always work!

In high school studying a day before a test was always a viable option. In college it's a different story. Trying to learn 5 chapters or 300 pages for your physiology class a day before a test is almost impossible. Do not procrastinate! Classes, tests, lab reports, and assignments pile up quick. Do not do it to yourself.

13. Save your money! Stop buying fast food!

Although the dinning hall food may be disgusting with few options, eat it over fast food. Do not be lazy; microwave one of the many meals stored in your freezer before you buy fast food. It is so quick to fall into the trap of eating at one of the 50 fast food restaurants close to campus. You will gain unnecessary weight and waste so much money.

14. 8AMs are not worth it!

As good as being done by noon sounds, 8ams are not always the best option unless you have no problem waking up early. However, if waking up early is a problem, I advise you NOT to schedule them. I still manage to get stuck with them, and it is a constant problem for my roommate and I. We frantically get ready after realizing class starts in ten minutes.

15. Sleep! All-nighters will not help!

As you walk down the study rooms, you will see several students studying and working at the crack of dawn clenching a mug of coffee. Staying up all night seems like the best option to get ahead or do good on a test, but it is usually not. Sleep is SOOOO important. I cannot stress that enough. Take time to sleep!

16. GPA is forever, boys are even less

It is so easy to get caught up in wanting a boyfriend. Come on TV and all those cute insta photos we see makes it seem glamorous. As you see couples walking holding hands, it is hard not to want the same. BUT do not get caught up in the boys. Do NOT let them be a distraction. Put yourself first and your GPA too.

17. Take time to relax

It is almost impossible to study all day and more often than not there is not a reason to. Do not forget to relax and unwind. Enjoy your passions and hobbies or catch up on your favorite Netflix series. College is mentally and emotionally draining, so you deserve a break occasionally.

18. Believe in yourself

College can be an emotional rollercoaster filled with ups and downs. BUT you will get through it! You are smarter than you know. More determined that you think. Do not sell yourself short. Believe in yourself and the many capabilities you have.

Although my college experience is not over yet, I have learned a lot and will continue to learn about myself and others. Regardless of the many challenges we face throughout our collegiate years never loose yourself in mix. Always learn. Always get better! You can do it!