In Over My Head And Over Working

In Over My Head And Over Working

Working hard seems like a great idea, until you work yourself to exhaustion.

30
In Over My Head And Over Working
http://spectrum-ict.be/blog/

A few weeks ago, I started working a part time job around the same time I started my junior year of high school. At first I thought I'd be able to balance school (seven classes throughout the day, two of which are AP classes, and one honors class,) and work (Monday through Friday, directly after school,) with minimal difficulty. I somehow managed to convince myself that I'd have enough time to complete my homework, eat proper meals, spend minimal time socializing with friends (via Skype of text on weekdays) and manage to get enough sleep. After a few agonizing weeks of constant work, I was beyond exhausted. I was agitated, tired, and very unhappy. I found myself accidentally napping for an hour or so after dinner, only to wake up and panic because I hadn't finished my work. Other times I struggled to keep my eyes from slipping shut and focusing on the tasks that had been set in front of me. One of my friends even told me I looked like a college student, due to the over-sized jacket I had worn that day, along with the bags under my eyes and the coffee in my right hand.

Eventually, I asked my boss if I could work every other day so I could focus on both school work and actual work, and hopefully work more efficiently. Thankfully, she agreed to my proposal, also advising me not to push myself so much after seeing my apparent fatigue. The following weeks, I was more myself; Yes, I was still tired because high school can wear you out, but I wasn't a walking corpse anymore. I managed to get a few more hours of sleep, and found the time to make myself some food for breakfast and/or lunch.

Money makes the world go 'round in today's society. Wanting an education, wanting a place of your own to live, wanting to travel and experience every corner of the world... It all costs money. After doing some math, I calculated that I'd have a fair amount of money to help pay off college loans, or to help me provide for myself when I start living on my own. Whatever that money will be used for, I wanted to try to earn as much as I could before I started a life on my own. But I never considered how it could take a toll on my present self.

No matter how good things may seem with a few sacrifices, some things may be too good to give up. Whether it's sleep, or social events, or school sports, it's important to figure out what is the most important to you. As I said, you will need to make sacrifices, but that doesn't mean you have to sacrifice all of your happiness and energy. When you're attending school, working a part time job, and/or attend extra curricular or social activities, it's vital to find a balance between what's important. It's crucial to work, but it's just as important to find time to recharge and have some fun. All work and no play only leads to stress, exhaustion, and lack of joy.