Our Profiles Don't Actually Define Us

Our Profiles Don't Actually Define Us

Observing the ways that our social media platforms portray a different persona than what really takes place every day.

57
Our Profiles Don't Actually Define Us
Instagram

On social media, a lot of people's lives seem to be almost perfect. The High Definition pictures, blue water (thank you Cody Ko), crazy backgrounds, always smiling and adventures while traveling all portray a life that is very unrealistic. It is interesting to see how invested people are in making their social media something polar to their true self. This may just be the influence of rich and famous people, but the trend has completely taken over.

This trend is more apparent with the younger generations and college students. Many are striving for an aesthetically pleasing grid or social media page. What this doesn't show is our struggles, bad days or sometimes even growth in life. Not everyone's page is fake or has a "wanna-be" outlook, but they just don't define who we actually are. This can allow for labels to be put upon us when all they saw was our social media. It is rare to meet someone nowadays and only know them from what we've seen in person.

This just shows that times have changed to where people can't judge us by the actions they've seen or the conversations they've had with us. Complete strangers can search our profiles and make their own impression just by what they see. I don't see this as anything more than an observation because I am guilty myself. It is just important to be yourself and not follow what everyone else is doing or posting. Proving and being who you really are is way easier than trying to be someone you're not.

Even celebrities will often make a post on how they're life isn't perfect and their pictures don't show what happens behind the scenes. Behind the scenes is real life, that is what truly defines us individually, not the crazy blue water and luxurious vacation pictures.