What Social Media Has Done To Our Generation

Let's face it — we have no social skills.

456
rawpixel / 123rf Stock Photo

Facebook. Twitter. Snapchat. Instagram. Tinder. Yik Yak. The list goes on forever.

Can we all take a moment of silence for the old standby of MySpace and AIM? OK, so we can all agree that social media has taken over our generation. However, is it a good thing, a bad thing, or indifferent? In 2016, young adults are being coined the “social media generation.” In reality, social media has brought us together. It has shed light onto important social issues, helped bring attention to disease, allowed people with no other way of spreading information to have their voice be heard by the whole world. Let it go viral.

Yes, social media is definitely helpful in many cases, as opposed to being harmful. However, we all know some instances when social media can be a burden. First, social interaction. I am a very talkative and outgoing person. Nine times out of ten, I find it hard for people to carry on conversations these days.

Everyone is so worried about how many likes they got on their new Insta post that they couldn’t be even slightly bothered by the fact that I am trying to have a conversation with them. Anyone that knows me can confirm that I have an Instagram and social media... obsession, I guess you could call it. I wake up in the morning, turn on my phone and check all of my social media. I guess you could say I use it as my “morning news." I feel like I’m not the only one. However, I have manners and know when and where social media has its place. For instance, at the dinner table, please, out of respect for everyone around you, put down the phone!

In my opinion, nothing is more annoying than when you are trying to have a nice dinner and talk to someone and they say, “I’m sorry. What did you say?” because they were too engrossed in a Tweet to pick their head up and talk to you. #rude

Social media not only creates faceless robots almost unable to have real life conversations, but it also creates disharmony in relationships. Let’s be real — we’ve all had a boyfriend or girlfriend, or been on a date with someone, who could just not put the darn phone down! Excuse me, am I that boring? I think that Facebook post can wait. People need to know when it's appropriate and when it's downright rude.

Another thing: people need to realize that online dating is a scary, scary place. As I say, Facebook always does me dirty. Please people, don’t “slide into my DM’s,” harass me through direct messages or talk dirty to me because, honey, it’s not cute. I don’t know you. Calm down. Take a step back and please, for the love of God, we don’t want pictures of you “down there.” Especially if you are a stranger. Especially if we have never even met you.

Girls and guys, please have more respect for yourself than thinking you are only worthy of a slimy guy who is talking to three different girls on Tinder and has a long term relationship at home. Can we also please stop making likes or friend requests a direct assumption that we want you to be our forever love? No, people, stop. For my sanity, please don’t creep from 45 weeks back. “Creeping” is normal. Well, we would all be liars if we didn’t look at our new love interest's social media profile. But please, don’t be obsessive!

Social media has made the “online cheating” game very easy. People can message you in the blink of an eye. They can move in on territory that they “want” by obsessively liking photos, commenting on them with suggestive emojis and stepping on the toes of others. One rule of thumb: please, if someone is in a relationship, take the hint and back off. Karma is, well, you know…

Skinny girls in bikinis, flawless skin and the most expensive car are always things people lust after while looking at Instagram posts of their friends, followers and idols. Let’s be real — people always put out what they want others to see. Do you honestly think someone is going to post a picture of themselves when they groggily wake up with bags under their eyes the color of the night sky? Or of themselves on the beach in a bikini after they get the food baby from the Chipotle burrito? No!

Please just take it from the source and realize that we are all human. We are all beautiful in our own way and social media does not define us. Do not let anyone else’s social media façade make you think any less of yourself. Do not let someone harass you over social media, get in between your relationship or make you feel worthless as they are Snapchatting your experiences instead of actually experiencing things with you.

Believe me, I get it. Social media is tempting; but for once, put down the phone and focus on laughing with your friends or having a romantic dinner, rather than posing for a staged picture so people can comment underneath with 100 emojis and the word "goals" next to it. Live your life for you and the experiences and for the photo that captures the essence of frozen time — don’t just do it for the gram.