Why Calling People Your 'Other Half' Isn't A Compliment

My Best Friend And My Significant Other Are Not My 'Other Halves,' They’re Whole Humans

I want my people to be themselves. I want them to be whole on their own.

104

It's a nice sentiment, describing someone close to you as your "other half."

But if you really think about it, it's not great to consider yourself or that person only half of a human.

Granted, it would be impossible to be a whole person emotionally, mentally and physically 24/7. That's not real.

But saying that, without you, your favorite people are half of the person they are (and vice versa) is actually kind of an insult. It's actually kind of harsh.

I mean, from time to time, you may require help from those you love to pick up the pieces of yourself. And that's OK. It's more than OK — it's human.

But there's something inherently wrong with the idea of the people you care about most walking around as just torsos, ya feel me?

So, next time you go to post a birthday picture on Instagram of you and your BFF with that basic AF (but still cute) caption — consider who you might be cutting in half.