Oregon, The Best Of Both Worlds

Oregon, The Best Of Both Worlds

From City to Mountains

48
Oregon, The Best Of Both Worlds

From a highly populated city to rivers, mountains and forests that go for miles, Oregon has something to offer for everybody.

1. Oregon has no sales tax, restaurant or liquor tax.

Because of this, many come to Oregon just to shop.

2. Portland is an example of outstanding urban planning. The city is known as The City of Roses.

Although Oregon is surrounded in forest, mountains, rivers and waterfalls, Portland is the 26th most populous cities in the United States. Approximately 2,389,228 people live in Portland but the surrounding areas in Oregon give people the escape they may need from a big city.

3. The Columbia River Gorge is considered by many to be the best place in the world for windsurfing.

From west to east, the Columbia River Gorge is home to many sailing sites. From Rooster Rock in the east to The Hatch in the west, the Columbia River Gorge stretches for 1,200 miles giving sailors and surfers wide range of what they are looking for.

4. Haystack Rock off Cannon Beach is 235 feet high and is the third large coastal monolith in the world.

Haystack Rock towers 235 feet over the beach and is home to nesting seabirds in the summer and marine invertebrates all year long. It is also one of the largest "sea stacks" on America's Pacific coast. Tidepoolers are drawn to its wonders every day... as many as 200,000 people visit Haystack Rock every year, mostly during the summer months.

5. The Seaside Aquarium was the first facility in the world to successfully breed harbor seals in captivity.

This privately-owned aquarium has been giving people a place to explore since 1937. With seals, underwater exhibits, touch tank exhibits and discovery camps the Seaside aquarium is accessible to all for low prices ranging from $4.00 to $27.00. The aquarium also boasts one of the best captive breeding records for Harbor Seals in the world with third and even fourth generation offspring.

6. In 1880 a sea cave was discovered near what is now known as Florence. Sea Lion Cave is known to be the largest cave in the world.

Sea Lion Caves is America's largest sea cave and the year-round home of the Steller sea lion. Since this isn't a zoo, the sea lions are not always around and they are able to come and go as they play as it is their nature. During the winter months hundreds of sea lions are in the cave, where in the spring it is breeding and birthing time so the lions move from the Cave to rookery areas and normally remain there through the summer.

7. In 1876 the University of Oregon opened in Eugene. Deady Hall was the first building on campus and still exists.

University of Oregon is a university that is an easy drive to both the Pacific Ocean and the Cascade Mountains and is known for its research prowess and commitment to teaching.

8. It's legal for adults 21 and older to possess and use recreational marijuana with only a few limitations.

Although not legal to everyone, the state of Oregon has approved medical dispensaries that may sell small amounts of marijuana to recreational users of legal age. Driving under the influence is still illegal as well as taking the product in and out of the state. While most of the population may look down on the use of marijuana, a comparative assessment between the use of alcohol and marijuana found alcohol to be 114 times deadlier.

9. The Tillamook Cheese Factory is the world's largest cheese factory.

Who doesn't like cheese?